Wednesday, 13 February 2013

The Gallery - Girls

'Please can we go now?'
Not one to ever pass up a photo opportunity, my mum - and no amount of whinging/crying/general complaining was going to stop her getting a shot of her four girls in that field of sunflowers.
Just look at us.
What a bunch of miseries.
Apart from the sister who appears to have mysteriously shrunk.
It was the late 70's and we were trundling slowly through France to the coast; the four of us bouncing about in the back of our family camper - colouring in, fighting over felt tips and watching the world go by. I can just imagine how the sunflower photo stop would have seemed like a great idea. To my mother. And it makes me think of all the times I've done the same kind of thing to my kids - usually greeted with a similar degree of enthusiasm.

'Come on girls! Smile! PLEASE!!' I can hear mum, but I'm the sulky, slightly awkward almost pre-teen one in the tracksuit top, and I didn't do smiling - well not proper smiling, just a sort of clenched teeth, tight lipped scowl. Still, I wasn't anywhere near as grizzly as my youngest sister who was having none of it.  Another thing I found out later on. NEVER wake a toddler for the sake of a photo..


This week's Gallery theme is Girls
Blog

13 comments:

  1. It looks lovely wherever you were in France. I'd probably have stopped too LOL but yes, I think my kids would hate the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really made me laugh - I can just imagine the photo your Mum would have loved to have taken!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a great picture, i dread to think what pictures are lurking in my mums collection

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pic - and fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - what a great pic of you all! I love the face the little one has on her - so true: just NEVER wake a toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha awwwww that toddler made me chuckle but i LOVE your trakkie top. I had the exact same suit in maroon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost spat my tea out! Hilarious photo! Of course now we can snap a hundred and maybe get a good one, then we were stuck with whatever was on the film, I'm sure my Mum just lined us up, pressed and hoped!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I struggle to get the perfect picture too lol. Loving the retro clothes and hair x

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL- that is so the sort of thing I would do as a mum! I have many photos like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photo and four girls, wow, you're mother had her work cut out for her x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is hilarious! What a flash back in time

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just genius. I think as parents it's really easy to just photograph the 'happy' but it's important to capture everything to show childhood how it really is. Also for use in embarrassing the kids when they're older ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that these natural photos contain far more memories! :)

    ReplyDelete