Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Day 352 - Mobile memories

We're very nearly there. My husband's home this month! THIS MONTH! Can't tell you how great it feels to write that. I'd almost do a jig if I wasn't so blinking tired...just a few more weeks...

The last bit is tough though - time starts crawling by - still, I've allowed the final countdown to begin in my head, and I'm on a kind of manic mission to get the house sorted and things finished before he's back. This usually happens, and as I've already said it's completely bonkers, because he's not going to be remotely bothered about how the house looks. He just wants to be home. But I think it helps me somehow.

Not everything has gone to plan. I won't be meeting him at the door, wrapped in a crocheted blanket of many colours, as I'd optimistically thought way back when, before granny squares got the better of me.  According to my little counter I've almost enough for a blanket, but sewing them together could take another year...


During a kitchen drawer clear out (because he's really going to be looking through the drawers..) I found a box of fish. They're made from copper wire someone gave me a while ago. I bent it with pliers into a simple shape, then threaded beads and shells onto very thin wire, and wrapped this around each one.

I've always had a thing about fish. Not exactly sure why, but there's something comforting about them.  I have shoals of all shapes and sizes, on curtains, cushions, pictures, tiles - you could easily play spot the fish in any room here.
Over the years I've worked them into many things I've made too, and that's really what I'm getting at in a roundabout way. The last time my husband was on tour in Afghanistan I made a large mosaic fish mirror, and it is important to me - packed with memories and emotion. Making something out of the wire fish is similar really. A reminder of the year - the ups and downs, but I hope mostly the positive things that have come out of these 12 months on my own.

I knew I had a bag of lovely bleached, smooth pieces of driftwood gathered on a beach trip, so a mobile seemed like a good option.


Getting the balance right was tricky, but attaching it to a hanger on a curtain pole meant I could fiddle about with the dangling fish, and get them hanging properly.
Now they're swimming around in the bathroom, and mobiles have been added to my list of things that are seriously hard to photograph..


Will he notice? Maybe not. 
But it'll always mean something to me.


I'm linking up with Lakota's 'Ta-dah! Tuesday'

12 comments:

  1. The fish is a sign for Jesus. Are you religious at all? Perhaps it expresses your faith or hopes and prayers?
    Anyhow, it's lovely! I have a garage full of driftwood just waiting for this kind of inspiration!
    Will your husband be home for good? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he won't be going back to Afghanistan (though I remember being told something similar before this tour...) Home for a few months and then we'll be back to weekly commuting - but don't feel too phased by that after this year!
      I know the fish shape is a symbol of christianity, however that isn't why the house is covered in them. I've tried thinking what it is - maybe it's just the simplicity of the shape I'm drawn to, but it's probably more than that, seeing as I keep making them when he's away! So yes, probably an expression of my hopes and prayers. Definitely positive x

      Delete
  2. It's really beautiful. I have a massive piece of driftwood propped up in the dining room, awaiting, er, something!

    I can't tell you how impressed I am with how well you cope while your husband's away. Mine goes on quite a few trips abroad with work, but usually no longer than a fortnight, and that's bad enough. I revert to being a teenager and stay up late and no housework gets done at all until the day before he heads home! (not that he forces me to do it or anything, I just feel guilty if he returns to squalor)

    Very excited for you about his return.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lakota, it is getting exciting now! Hard to believe in some ways it's nearly over.
      Your reverting to a teenager bit made me smile, because I've been staying up late for a whole year which is possibly why I'm on my knees now! Certainly picked up a few bad habits.... x

      Delete
  3. so creative! love the fish from wires you made and how you hang them too...i too have been putting off finishing my granny square,anyways...so happy for you that you're going to welcome your husband home pretty soon. Have a great time!

    blog hopping from ta dah tuesday

    Susan ( http://tea-diary.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thinking there must be so many half-finished granny square blankets lurking in bags in homes across the land! I am determined to get it done, but have been sidetracked by more festive projects! So maybe after christmas? x

      Delete
  4. I love the mobile - and its meaning. very special. I collected loads of bleached driftwood once., It sat around ina carrier bag and I always intended to make something, but never did then it turned into kindling :-( This month - hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh indeed hooray!! Thanks R :)
      There's something so appealing about driftwood when you find it, but quite hard to know what to do with it! The stuff I used has been in a cupboard for years x

      Delete
  5. You are so talented! I have my fingers crossed that the last few weeks fly by, and that you get everything done that you would like to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. think my tidying-up enthusiasm is waning! but it's not looking too bad now..Thank you for your lovely words x

      Delete
  6. So lovely :-) (you can play spot the bird in our house, I have an unexplained thing for birds !).
    Hope time starts to speed up soon & he's home before you know. I know what it can be like when you're so looking forward to something though, sometimes time seems to go frustratingly slow.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I'm trying to keep myself busy now ( making more owls!)

      Funny how we latch onto things like birds or fish - does make finding presents easier though :) xxx

      Delete