Wednesday, 20 June 2012

The Gallery: Family

Betty & Co

I think this is one photo that says family to me: out camping with just what we need - time and space to enjoy being together. Couldn't find any of us all in the same picture though.


I grab hold of family time when I can because my husband is away so much. It's made both of us appreciate the moments we have.


He's not quite as enthusiastic as me about Betty the camper, but I know when we get to a site he can see how much we all gain from keeping it simple for a day or two - away from distractions and the daily grind. Nothing to do except play and explore with the kids.
1978 - Looking thoughtful in flares...


For me it's also a strong, happy link to my family and my childhood. I have such a wonderful mixed bag of memories of camping trips when I was growing up.


I'm hoping our three will too.




The Gallery theme this week is Family.

11 comments:

  1. Betty the camper van is just lovely. I have never met anyone called Betty who is not kind, caring, fun and generous. My mother is a Betty and so is my 5yr old daughter. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right :) My granny's best friend was called Betty and she was a treasure.
      Betty the camper is a lovely, gentle old lady....with a bit of a naughty streak ! x

      Delete
  2. Having our van, Daisy, certainly helps us get away from it all and make the most of family time. Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Recipe - I was digging about in a cupboard and found loads of old photos from the 70's/80's - the kids think they're hilarious.

      Delete
  3. I would *love* a proper old camper. What fab memories it must be making for your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so! They do get excited about exploring campsites and putting the roof up so they can sleep in their bunks - it's all such an adventure to them. We don't go that far, but you don't need to, and there are lots of great camping spots near us.

      Delete
  4. I'd love a camper - makes camping so much more civilised! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The camper does make it easier to pack and go - the only problem is sometimes old ladies like Betty just don't go !

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, beautiful photo's. Your children are very lucky, they'll have wonderful memories. My parents used to take me camping most weekends (except in depths of winter) they were the best of times :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete