Monday, 12 March 2012

Day 113 - Welsh cakes

Things went a bit downhill yesterday.
Writing about it helped I think - and my husband called when he read it. So I'm pushing up the other side.

Baking seems to give me a shove in the right direction.  I've really noticed that recently. There is comfort to be found in my kitchen cupboard.
Also I've been on a bit of a muffin making mission since the charity challenge and think it's time for a change, before the kids go off them completely! It would appear you can have too much of a good thing.

I thought I'd try Welsh cakes because I had such a great afternoon helping out at the school when each class had a go at making them to raise money. They were quick and easy and the kids had a ball. Anyway St David's day wasn't all that long ago - and if I threw a stick from our front door it would almost land in Wales.

All you need is:

85g butter, plus extra for greasing
170g self-raising flour
55g sugar
55g currants
1 egg, beaten
A little milk to mix






Rub the butter into the flour - the finer you rub it in, the more melt-in-the-mouth they are.





Stir in the sugar and currants. Add the beaten egg and if you need it, a splash of milk, so you end up with a soft, but not too sticky dough.  Roll it out to about 5mm thick and cut out the cakes.




Traditionally they're cooked on a bakestone or girdle - but a good heavy frying pan will do!  Grease it lightly with butter and warm gently before adding the welsh cakes.  Make sure it doesn't get too hot.



I love it when they start to rise in the pan, but you need to be patient and keep checking the bases.  When they're golden, flip them over - and as soon as both sides are done, move them onto a wire rack.





They're good cold but you've GOT to try them hot - they are absolutely delicious.  Quite a few didn't make it as far as the plate.
Welsh cakes mightn't be that blessed in the looks department,  but I reckon they give muffins and cupcakes a run for their money.
There's a good reason why they're a national treasure.  Better stop now before I start belting out an old Tom Jones number.



8 comments:

  1. I am starving, and reading this did not help lol but they look lovely. I'm not on a diet as such but I'm trying to make low calorie low fat choices...and if I'm honest it's blooy killing me. I just can't convince myself that a few pineapple chunks are every bit as satisfying as a big fat doughnut haha.
    Just caught up on some of your post's (had a hectic few day's). I would feel like that after 4 weeks's never mind 4 months, really felt for you. If I lived closer and we were friends I'd happily have your children overnight on the odd occasion so you could have a little time out and a lay in. You always sound like you're doing a fantastic job though and haven't sounded gloomy at all. I excel at gloomy btw lol.
    Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jo, you are so lovely! Feeling much better now - but could do with some of your self-discipline when it comes to food! Think you're amazingly positive btw xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome & thank you too. Glad you're feeling better :-). I am really struggeling with the healthy eating aspect but I'm determined to win...even if it kills me, which it feels like it just might lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - have just put currants on my shopping list! Have been trying to be good since Christmas but keep falling off the wagon and then thinking life is too short to do without delicious food. Then struggle to keep up with my nearly 8 year old running but at least I have more stamina than him. It must be all the cake! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're well worth the currants, I promise! A bit naughty I know, but great to make with the kids. xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh you are so right - hot welsh cakes - yum. Baking is pretty much the answer to most things - even just temporarily.

    My OH was in the army - tours were bad enough then and we didn't have kids at that time. I have enjoyed reading your blog - I wish you luck and hope your Husband stays safe. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - really means a lot. I've enjoyed reading your blog too. x

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete