25.5.12

Day 184 - Banana with lemon drizzle cake


I found these sad boys at the bottom of my (very large) bag.


I'd put them in days ago, when we were charging round in the midst of birthday parties, then piled more stuff on top, as you do, and completely forgot about them. So they were a bit squashy and unappealing....and perfect for CAKE!
Now I've a great banana bread recipe I got from a magazine. All my scrappy cuttings end up in a rather lovely, carefully organised box; but not carefully organised enough for me to find the blinking banana bread recipe.
So I turned to to the ever reliable Mary Berry, and found Banana with lemon drizzle cake in her cookbook, One Step Ahead.  Sounded perfect and I just happened to have a rather sad looking lemon....
Honestly it's a little gem. A delicious, easy little gem.

For a start all the ingredients go in one bowl - 175g caster sugar, 3 eggs, 300g self-raising flour, 2 level teaspoons baking powder, 2 mashed up bananas (I used all three - didn't seem right to leave one out) grated zest of half a lemon, 2 tablespoons of milk and 175g softened butter.
The butter was so soft I mixed it all with a wooden spoon and then just poured it into a lined 8 inch cake tin.
So quick.
Pop it into the oven for 45 minutes at 180 degrees C/gas 5 until light golden brown and test with a skewer. While the cake's cooling a bit, mix 100g sugar and the juice of one lemon and spread it all over the top.

It's had a big thumbs up from the kids, even my Banana Avoider. 
It smells of bananas and tastes of bananas, yet he's the first to ask for more.
Anything goes when it looks like cake.