Monday, 4 May 2015

Dressing up

It's been an age since I posted any secondhand buys…and there have been a few…mostly pretty run of the mill though - no heart pounders, well, not until I had a bit of success at the local auction recently, but more on that in a minute.

Seem to have gone a bit overboard on dresses! Think it's because in my head I am a person who wears dresses, but that's usually as far as it goes. When I drag myself out of bed at 6am, jeans and a top are about all I can cope with. I don't seem to be able to contemplate anything else that early in the morning. Luckily none of these dresses cost more than a fiver, so the guilt's not so bad if they end up staying in the cupboard.

I was thinking summer holidays in France when I got these two - both Fat Face. I really like the blue dress, but it's a bit on the tight side and might be heading for the ebay pile.


Long blue floral dress is by Coast and the bold green and brown shift is Hobbs. Nicer on than it looks I think.


Never in a month of Sundays thought I'd buy a full length velvet Laura Ashley dress, I mean never. Honestly the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it on the Charity shop rail was, 'army formal do', but it's been a long time since I went to one of those, and that's not the reason I bought it. I bought it because it was £2.50. Can't resist that kind of a bargain. And if I don't ever wear it I could make some very nice velvet cushions.


This has been a whole lot more useful. Just a few pounds and a perfect size for my knitting stuff.


Could do with prettying up my bedding, and these pillowcases were still in their vintage looking packaging. Lovely embroidered flowers.


Two jackets - one denim, the other cord. Thought I could jazz them up with a bit of colourful crochet. Another project to add to the list.


Things have been so busy recently I kept missing the local auction just down the road from us. Spotted the signs up the other week though, and managed to get to the Friday viewing. I'll never tire of looking around auctions; they are endlessly fascinating - especially when there's been a big house clearance. Some of the old farms around here haven't been touched for decades, they're like museums. A glimpse back, and a reminder of the incredible amount of stuff we gather around us. It's like wandering through someone's life, laid out in lines - can't help thinking that sometimes.

Anyway, I left some commission bids, because Saturdays are no longer a day a leisure, as we're usually ferrying the kids somewhere or other. I got a phone message on the Monday saying I'd won two lots on my list - slight grip of panic, because on a bit of a whim I'd bid on two lovely old, but very large cupboards that needed a lot of work. At the time it hadn't really crossed my mind to think about how I was going to get them home. By the time I got down to the auction house I'd convinced myself I'd won the cupboards, but luckily not - the two I picked up were actually my favourite lots. Now that doesn't happen very often.


So pleased with this pretty garden table and chair for £28. Things like this often turn up at the auction, but I've almost fallen over myself a few times, trying to lift a heavy looking table that's turned out to be as light as a feather. This one's not an imitation, it's cast iron and weighty. Also quite rusty, but I like a bit of rust, as long as it's not terminal.

I also picked up this old oak school desk for my daughter who really wanted one for her room - £14 which I thought wasn't bad, and at last a home for my decoupage chair that's been floating around the house for months.


My husband is home now until he goes away on tour, so, a few months together, which is lovely and a bit of a novelty to be honest. Obviously we'll have just got used to him being around and then he'll be away again. All or nothing, that's how it seems to be.
Haven't really told him yet, but I have many plans for the weeks ahead - mainly of the painting/decorating/repairing variety, which I'm sure he's going to be thrilled about….but I'll give him a day or two...


12 comments:

  1. It is always such fun visiting your blog, especially when you thrift shop. And I always say the same thing about making pillows out of "interesting" and cheap clothes purchases. I never make the pillows! Hope you do. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dress conversions yet, but have managed a few jumper cushions! Not sure about the velvet number…Thanks LInda.

      Delete
  2. You’ve definitely got an eye for a bargain but I think you’re going to be very busy doing some renovations of your own. I look forward to the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you're right! Thank you Marilyn.

      Delete
  3. You've got a super haul there. I am particularly jealous of the Hobbs dress. I love the slightly murky green colour and have just started knitting a cardi in the same shade so if it does not fit I'll go on a diet and you can send it to me. The garden table is lovely too. Will you be renovating it or leaving it shabby chic? The desk brought back a few memories from the 1960s too. Lots to keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty! Think I'll leave the table as it is - just a bit on top that worries me a little. If the Hobbs dress doesn't do me, it's yours for sure!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your other half is home for a bit..... and some lovely bargains and buys here (you can get hold of great stuff down the charity shop these days) and the garden furniture and vintage school desk are delightful. You are the thrifty queen! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing I thought when I read this was, a couple of those dresses would actually pair nicely with some jeans, which shows I was paying attention. Also, I LOVE that garden table, I really want one like that! Oh, and *phew* on the cupboard front! (Cupboard front, geddit?? *snort!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Phew indeed! Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks Lucy, now just need to find a minute to actually sit at my lovely garden table!

      Delete
  6. I love that old school desk! What a find. Looks like you've found some really nice bits recently. Thak you for sharing on #ThriftyThursday

    ReplyDelete