Thursday, 23 April 2015

Fish, bash, box

Hasn't been so bad really, getting back into the school run swing; so much easier when the morning's are light and the sun's shining. Helps too that everyone's well rested after the holidays, probably because we didn't do much. Not a lot of planning went on beforehand, thanks to all the book business, so the end of term sort of snuck up on me. It wasn't until the last day, when one of the mums asked what we were doing over Easter that I felt a twist of panic - the thought of bored kids bouncing off the walls at home for a few weeks. But, it all worked out fine. Sometimes it pays to go with the flow, especially when the weather's good.

So we had the kids' friends round and packed them off on a few sleepovers, and generally made the most of being outside. I managed to pick up a lovely old Galt climbing frame on Freecycle - it's probably a bit on the small side for the not so little, littlest, but she had a merry old time shipping half her toys out and making dens. Not so good at shipping them back again.

I took the kids on a day trip to Birmingham to the Sea Life Aquarium.once I'd been through all the drawers in the kitchen and found the Tesco Clubcard tickets. I was on a mission to find them, seeing as the last ones I got for the West Midland Safari Park where put in such a safe place I forgot about them until they were out of date.



No surprises, the Aquarium was packed, but we had such a happy few hours there. The kids loved the penguins and walking through the tunnel - turtles and stingrays swimming overhead in their watery world. We watched a short version of Happy Feet in the 4D cinema, which wasn't half bad either. A bit of grizzling on the way back, but I got a 'best day ever' from the 10 year old. They're worth the wait, those moments.

I dug out our trusty old B&M fire pit - twenty quid well spent I've got to say. We lit it a few evenings and cooked some Damper bread over the embers - camping bread from Australia originally I think. If you've never tried it, it's worth a go, for the fun value alone - and the bread's okay-ish! The kids just seem to love anything they've cooked over a fire. 



So easy to make too - just mix 250g of self-raising flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, half a teaspoon of salt and 150ml of water. Work it into a dough on a floured surface, then divide into about six balls, roll them into long sausage shapes and wrap round some clean sticks, tucking the ends in to stop them falling into the flames. Remember to remove any flaky barksomething we forgot to do the first time round; and let the fire settle before you cook them over the embers - impatience meant we had a few burnt on the outside, doughy on the inside offerings. And several sticks on fire.

Managed a bit of holiday crafting - not so much kids stuff, apart from the paper flowers, because my enthusiasm has somewhat waned... but I did have a rather successful knit. I'd been trying to think what to give a great friend for her Birthday - she loves her boxers to distraction, so I searched 'knit a boxer dog' online and sure enough, up popped this fantastic book, 'Best in Show - 25 more dogs to knit'  The knit bit wasn't that bad, but I got into quite a muddle sewing it up. Took ages! But I was really pleased with how the dog turned out, and she loved it.






Got back into some napkin decoupage as well, with this box for a friend who had a baby recently. A lot quicker to do than the boxer can I just say. Love the birds and the cat - just my thing - hoping it's hers too!



7 comments:

  1. The Boxer is very smart and he actually looks quite friendly! I’m sure yoiur friend will love the decorated box. I was just reading something online about the Finnish giving a box full of baby stuff to all new Mums and then the box is used as a first cradle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know that - sounds sensible really, and a good decorating opportunity!

      Delete
  2. I find cooking over a fire is always a hit where kids are concerned too - it's such a primal thing, I think we just have it buried in our genetic code, but not too deep. Sounds like a great holidays. We were camping on the Gower last weekend, at 3 Cliffs Bay and I thought of you - don't know if that's where you go, but it was beautiful & we were blessed with the weather. Hope you are well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! We haven't been to the Gower yet this year - soon I hope. I'm having a bit of a Betty the campervan dilemma which I know you'll understand - my heart says keep her; my head says let her go. Latter looking more likely. Husband's away again soon and the kids are all busy doing other things. She's just not being used much. Time really for a new family. Hard though :( xx

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear the Easter hols were a success. Making damper sounds fun although I've never heard of it being cooked that way before, much more fun for the kids tho. Your Boxer is delightful....you are SO clever and your baby box is lovely too. What's next? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely - not very exciting, but painting skirtings/walls for me next! House needs freshening up - husband's got some time off before he goes away, so plan is to make the most of that and get some stuff done! xxx

      Delete
  4. I am completely in love with that Boxer! He's lovely! Sounds like a really lovely holiday too! :)

    ReplyDelete