Sunday, 22 February 2015

Making my mind up

We're just home from a lovely few days in Cornwall.  A much needed blast of sea air and some February sunshine. We stayed on the Roseland Peninsula, which isn't a part of Cornwall I've visited before.


I spent a few summers during my student days, working at a hotel in North Cornwall - mainly doing breakfasts, because my silver service skills weren't the best….rarely let loose on evening diners. I remember there being a bit of a buzz about an up and coming chef over in Padstow - Rick Stein had just made his first TV appearance - yes, it really was that long ago! Happy memories though, and I can hardly believe our break last week was the first time I've been back since then.


We managed to pack a fair bit into our short stay. A day at the Eden Project got the thumbs up from everyone, though I whinged more than the kids in the steamy Rainforest dome. Blimey it was hot, but what was I expecting?? I was a right sweaty heap by the end, so here's the eldest instead, looking remarkably cool. Think it's the first picture I've taken of him that he actually likes.

Pretty clever putting an ice-cream stall next to the door.


Much happier in the Mediterranean biome, and the crispy squid I had at the restaurant there was seriously good. In fact everything looked good. Surprisingly good. I think I've come to expect food at major attractions like this to be tasteless and overpriced, so I always, always make sandwiches. But my eyes are bigger than my stomach, and like I say, it looked good!
Although it wasn't cheap, I reckon what we had was worth the money. Plus the sandwiches didn't go to waste.

Quite a few food highlights for me actually - a fabulous meal out -  sea bass in a creamy lemon and dill sauce; and the best fish and chips I've ever tasted from The Watch Out by the harbour front in St Mawes. They were crispy-on-the-outside, fluffy-on-the-inside perfection. So good we went back twice!

Great boat trip too, from St Mawes to Falmouth - everyone got pink cheeks and wild hair sitting up on the top deck.

We were staying near The Hidden Hut, a top foodie spot I've read a bit about, right by Porthcurnick beach. I went to have a look one morning. It really is a hut; all closed up until April, but what a spot! Easy to imagine why it's so popular. Sitting there on one of the long benches, gazing out to sea, I got carried away with a bit of a romantic notion about running a place like this through the summer…..catch of the day, simple tasty dishes...just a fleeting romantic notion though, I'm not daft. My lovely Granny ran a cafe with a group of friends that was quite ground-breaking in its day. She was always making soup, or cakes or quiche. I know she had very happy memories of that time, but the cooking was relentless.


Away from the daydreaming, my plan was to use the time to come up with a good, catchy crafty name. Whether I like it or not I've got to get more organised about what I do online…which is basically blogging, because I don't do much else! So, now I'm lucky enough to be writing a kids craft book, I've got to up my game a bit. My blog has always been a mish-mash of things, which is a pretty accurate reflection of me, but anyone looking for a kids craft site is going to be mighty disappointed.

I'm going to start a new, purely craft blog, and have had a bit of a nightmare trying to work out what to call it. The problem is any name with 'craft' or 'art' appears to be taken. I liked Arty Pants or Arty Time - but quite obviously, so did a lot of other people.

I've started looking at more random names instead. The one that's top of the list at the moment is Jumble Tree. I'd love to know what you think? Jumble ties in with my Jumble Betty toys, and it also represents the recycling/make-do side of my craft stuff. The tree bit could be about growth and learning.
Banana Stew was another one, just because it was slightly bonkers.
It's been a lot harder than I imagined, for sure!


16 comments:

  1. Glad you had a such a lovely time in Cornwall, looks like you had good weather. I just love it there.
    I don't think I'm in any position to give advice on blog names! Good luck with it though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becoming more indecisive the more I think about it! Probably should just take the plunge xx

      Delete
  2. I like Jumble Tree. Great name anyway and as you say it ties to Jumble Betty.
    Cornwall looks lovely. I always wanted to see it, sadly never got there despite living almost two years in London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the way isn't it? I worked in Scotland for 2 years and rarely left Glasgow. Wish I'd spent a bit more time exploring, but that wasn't so important back then!
      Really glad you like Jumble Tree :)

      Delete
  3. Jumble Tree is my favourite of the ones you are thinking about. I love the Roseland peninsula. Mike and I were at the Eden Project on its opening day and we keep promising ourselves to return to see how it has developed. Looks like a great way of spending the half term break. Good Luck with planning the new blog- will you be keeping this one as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes…I'm going to try to stick exclusively to kids craft on the new one, so probably need a space for other ramblings!
      Hope you get a chance to visit the Eden Project sometime soon - think it would be fascinating to see how much it's changed since the opening. Thanks for the thumbs up for Jumble Tree…starting to feel a bit more confident!

      Delete
  4. JumbleTree seems to fit the bill nicely; I’m not sure about Banana Stew - could put people off, as not everyone likes bananas :)

    We haven’t been to Cornwall for a long, long time, but you are in my favourite area. We visited The Eden Project when it was in its infancy (of course I blogged about it), and I’d love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing place, I think all of us came away feeling like we'd learnt something - lovely few days altogether!
      Know what you mean about Banana Stew…seems to be losing its a-peel... :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely time. I always enjoy reading about people's trips to Cornwall, but it's a place I've never much liked, though obviously I've visited a lot, living in Devon as we do. Clearly I'm in the minority, though, as it seems quite the place to go these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now you see I want to know what it is you don't like! Anyway, you've got all that coastal beauty on your doorstep, so why would you bother with next door? I love any seaside trip to be honest, probably because we live miles from the coast. I'd definitely go back to Cornwall, but not in the summer - still remember how crazy it was in peak season.

      Delete
  6. Jumble Tree is a great name for a craft blog. Use this one! So exciting about your children's craft book. Sounds like you've had a fab half term - I love Cornwall; nowhere else quite like it! We had a busy half term even though I was full of head cold. Meh. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you! Sorry you've been under the weather. Thanks for the Jumble Tree vote, I've just registered the name…..now I need to set it up properly…which might take a while! x

      Delete
  7. You've probably decided by now but I like Jumble Tree.
    I am a huge fan of Cornwall - this post reminds me how much I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be back, won't leave it so long next time - wouldn't mind visiting some of my old haunts in North Cornwall…or maybe another trip to St Mawes :)
      I've gone with Jumble Tree.

      Delete
  8. Cornwall is soooo beautiful isn't it? It's been too long since I have visited. I love the new name for the craft blog, looking forward to seeing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure where to start! Wish someone else would do the setting up bit for me!

      Delete