Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Jumbling along

You know what I've probably had the most comments about at Craft Fairs?
My cardboard letters.
The only things that aren't for flipping sale!
Lost count of the number of times I've had to explain they actually spell my name.


A few people have asked if I'll make them to order, and I didn't exactly say no, because I find it REALLY hard to say no when I'm selling, which can be a bit of a nightmare. But I don't want to make more letters, because covering them took me ages and I'm not that great at it. A close inspection of a B, or any of the rest, and you'd see what I mean. And what would I charge? I'm rubbish at pricing - the one thing I'm learning is, getting it right has got a lot to do with how confident you sound. I started off being almost apologetic about my prices, but think I'm getting better...


Apart from trying to dodge letter enquiries, the Fairs have been going pretty well - it all feels a little easier now, and lovely when there's positive feedback. A lot of the bigger toys sold at the last one in Monmouth, which was brilliant….and strangely alarming, because as I said in my last grumpy post, I don't appear to have time to brush my hair at the moment.


This is especially worrying as I've a two day Christmas Craft Fair this weekend and very little stock. So I've been trawling through the house looking for anything I've ever made, including a little plundering in the kids' rooms. Feeling guilty about that.. I've also been gathering up any charity shop/car boot bits and bobs that might sell, sort of stretching the 'Jumble' part as far as it will go.


Haven't managed to shift the decoupage mirror yet, but to be honest it's useful for hanging stuff, and fills a sizeable space on the stall….maybe I should just keep hold of it.


Hope you're feeling a little Christmassy?…even the merest tinselly bit? Shame when it all gets smothered by mountains of festive prep, but I haven't worked out how to stop that happening. Still, I'm trying very hard to hold on to at least a holly leaf of Christmas cheer - just have to see what a weekend of customers, carols and hopefully the odd glass of mulled wine does for my festive mood.

It could go either way.



10 comments:

  1. I was hopeless at pricing when I did a couple of craft fairs and priced on the lowish side as the proceeds were for charity and I wanted to sell. Have been watching all of Kirstie's handmade xmases this week, don't think I shall be knocking up a wrought iron candelabra with my local smithy anytime soon tho!. So pleased to hear you've been selling well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, it's definitely getting better! I've missed Kirstie doing Christmas this week - missing everything at the moment, unless it starts after 10pm…Sounds like crafting in another dimension! Fun watching though xxx

      Delete
  2. You are so talented! And I love those letters - I can't see anything wrong with them ??? I am so glad to hear that your stock is selling well at the fairs. I am starting to feel more Christmassy now - we put up the tree at the weekend and I indulged in my first mince pie of the season. I have a few more presents to wrap and then I intend to put my feet up as much as I can - I really need the rest. I hope you have a fab Christmas and New Year, and I'll be seeing you again in 2015 (I'm taking a break from all writing at the end of this week). XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you my lovely! Need to give my head peace too and just enjoy what's going on! Eaten at least a box of mince pies…still haven't worked their Christmassy magic, but will keep trying :) xxx

      Delete
  3. It’s great when you make the breakthrough and very gratifying when people start asking you to make things for them. I know the feeling from way back, when I was doing the same as you, of not being able to keep up, but the comments and the actual pleasure of making something that someone else wanted to buy, made it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're absolutely right, it really does. Felt more relaxed at the last one, and more confident about my stuff, just wish I had extra stock for tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. Those letters are gorgeous! Make a few more and I am sure you will be more than happy with them yourself! Love the little grey bunnies too! :) Have a lovely festive season if I don't "speak" to you before! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Emma! Glad you like the grey bunny, he's a bit bigger than he looks there, sort of like a pillow pet! x

      Delete
  5. I'm not surprised things have been selling well. Your makes are adorable. Its getting very Christmassy here in Wales and I am on a day long bakeathon today. It was sticky festive gingerbread and mince pies yesterday for the freezer and today it is a Yule log, marzipanning the Christmas cake and a birthday cake for a friend. Have a wonderful Christmas, Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that all sounds so good! Must try to do some cooking this week, I'm behind with everything... The fair went well, though one day would have been enough, feel tired today. It was at Llanvihangel Court near Abergavenny - probably not that far from you? Think you'd really like it, such a beautiful setting. Happy Christmas! x

      Delete