Wednesday, 1 October 2014

The nearly but not quite so-so Show

I thought it was going to be a so-so show after a rather slow Saturday, but thankfully things picked up on Sunday. You never can tell really; my friend had a better Saturday - still, I think overall we both felt it had been worth it: good feedback and lessons learnt.


Not that decent sales meant a heap of cash…they're not exactly money-spinners my toys. Not really the sort of thing people are prepared to pay a lot of money for, but that's okay. I'd rather make fiddly bits and bobs than big stuff - though realistically big and simple might stretch my teeny margins.
Thing is, I'm a seasonal crafter - I've only ever sold at fairs in the run-up to Christmas, and I don't want it to feel like a chore, so I'm going to stick to what I like, which is the small stuff. The time-consuming, fiddly small stuff! Best to stop there before I start belting out the chorus of, 'It's not about the money'...

One exception to the 'not going big' rule though is the bunnies, which have been expanding. This was my mum's idea, and a good one, because they're more like a small pillow pet, so actually have a use besides being a squidgey soft toy. I only made one, and can't show it to you because it sold before I remembered to take a picture…should listen to my mum more often.
I didn't sell many of my Christmas decorations, so, possibly a bit previous with those. Hopefully have more luck in a few weeks time.


The atmosphere was great in our big old Vintage Pavillion tent - there was vintage tea party going on down one end, and singing and dancing 40's/50's style straight across from us. By midday it really was buzzing; plenty of people looking around, including Catherine, my lovely blogging friend from Ditsygran Quilts. Really good to meet her in person, and she very sweetly bought one of the little hand knitted mice. Catherine is such a talented crafter - her knits for her grandchildren are adorable: she also recently learnt to quilt and to crochet, and now does both like a pro. So annoying!

Sharing the stand was great from the nattering point of view, but it also meant we could take it in turns to have a wander. Loads to do and see and eat and buy - and I only got round a fraction of what was on offer. I know it sounds sales-pitchy, but there really seemed to be something for everyone at Malvern - classic cars, cooking demos, gardening galore, all manner of machinery, dog agility competitions -  I even found a Tintin shop! Made my day that. And then there was the giant veg: something else, the giant veg. What makes a person want to grow monster onions? What's that all about? Amazing though. The photos don't do them justice - should have put something standard size beside the onions so you could see how colossal they were!


I'll definitely be back…but buying bulbs and blooms and gorping at giant veg rather than selling I think.



8 comments:

  1. I’m pleased to hear that you had a fun time at the show. They really are a great learning experience. Your stand looks great; so bright and colourful. You’re reminding me so much of my younger self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn, I'm glad we did it - great to see what people actually like enough to buy! It's also given me a few ideas for the next one x

      Delete
  2. So glad you're back on the interweb and that Sunday trading was better. Your toys always have such nice faces.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the faces comment, always worry about the faces, because they never turn out the same! Think I probably spend too long fiddling about with them xx

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a great show, that last Dahlia is just beautiful! So glad that you had a good Sunday, I guess you can never tell with these things! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you never can….The dahlias were amazing, such vibrant colours and huge blooms! The pink ones won first prize xx

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that it all went well. I do love what you make. Have you thought about setting up a little shop with a link to it on your blog. I use http://supadupa.me/ for my little book. Also, have you thought about Etsy too (I am sure you have)? I do love those little bunnies - you are so talented! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this, lovely to get feedback. I have thought about Etsy, but keep wavering about moving into online selling. Question my commitment, which also wavers!

      Delete