Wednesday, 4 June 2014

A cosy bit on the side

Half term wasn't so busy, which was a blessing seeing as everyone seemed to be tired and crabby. The only thing we did was drive over to Norwich to see my sister and her rabble for a few days. They've just moved there from London and this was our first visit - first ever to Norwich.
Typical half term weather obviously - for supposedly the driest place in the UK it was very, very wet. Rained pretty much the whole time; but you know, it really didn't matter - it was just good to see them and have a look round their new home, so now I can picture my sister in situ when I call her. Fun talking through all their plans for the house and the garden too - almost made me miss that project stage. Almost. Just wish they weren't so blimmin' far away from us.

The rest of the week we stayed at home. The eldest pretended to revise for exams; the 9 year old did a great job of winding his sister up, and when I couldn't escape to the garden because of the relentless rain, I hoovered to drown out the noise. Only time I quite like hoovering.

But we did try out Hereford's shiny new cinema complex; picked elderflower for cordial (now's the time), and made Flamingo's for our Zoo…and I got going on the cover for the stool I'd bought for three quid from a charity shop.
My plan was a splash of lovely bright fabric, but then I spied this rather fetching crocheted stool cosy in one of those catalogues that keep on coming - and guess how much it is?


One hundred and nine pounds. For a titchy stool!
Feeling like you've saved a pile of cash has got to be one of the best motivators for trying something new, so, I chose my shades and off I went.


Wasn't totally sure how to do the corners, but in the end just stopped increasing when it looked big enough to cover the top, and the stool cosy shaped naturally. I left out the chain stitch between the triple crochets on the last row, to pull it in, plus went round the edge with thread elastic. Have to say the cover's a pretty good fit.

Do you like the colours? Is the lime green a bit much? I'm not sure… I was thinking about selling it, but it's proving quite popular here! So for now anyway, the stool stays.


17 comments:

  1. It looks great! The colours are cute and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really glad you like the colours, wondered if it was too bright.

      Delete
  2. I like your stool and beautiful cover way better than the expensive one you pictured! Great job! Think you found a "buyer." Hugs, Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's lovely of you! Thanks Linda :)

      Delete
  3. I prefer your crocheted stool too, much more "authentic" looking! Glad you had a nice half-term, albeit for the sanity hoovering! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell you, not a speck of dust round here at the moment! ;) Thanks for the thumbs up Emma, feeling more confident about it now x

      Delete
  4. £109!!!! Anyone who paid that would have to be off their rocker. Your version is brilliant and the lime green is groovy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Crazy money!! Thanks Fiona x

      Delete
  5. Wow, that’s quite a saving! Personally I love the colours and if it’s found a home, keep it! When you tire of it, sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks brill and prefer your one tbh- gorgeous colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, and I love the colours, too, specially the lime green! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous! I am thinking about having a go at crochet - rubber band looms have a lot to answer for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..floors here are littered with those flipping bands! I've been impressed though by how quickly the kids got the hang of it. Definitely good practice for crochet! I think you'd really enjoy it. Some great tutorials on youtube x

      Delete
  9. Hi Tracey,
    I'm a bit late catching up with my blogs. Just wanted to say how cute your stool cover was and cannot believe how much it was selling for online. Unbelievable! Never realised before you were in Herefordshire. Mike and I are in the process of selling and hope to move over that way in the future. (Malvern/Ledbury area)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely! We're further south, towards Abergavenny - always enjoy a trip to Ledbury though. Some great places to visit in Herefordshire and such beautiful countryside. Love it here x

    ReplyDelete