Monday, 26 May 2014

Sprinkle of 70's spice

We seemed to limp towards half term - it hasn't been that long since the last school holidays, but everyone's wrecked. Maybe it was the two recent Birthdays; or maybe trying to get the nine year old to revise for his exams last week. He just didn't see the point. Sort of like trying to roll a stone up a very, very steep hill.

But I did manage a quick Charity shop stop on the way to pick up Birthday supplies. Not half bad either. I came home with a small stool, a cake stand and a 70's spice rack - all for under a tenner.
Stuff I never knew I needed. The joy of Charity shops!
But there is method in my randomness - certainly a lot more than there used to be… The stool will be covered and sold (more later); I've always fancied putting cake on a pedestal, and the 70's spice rack…well, I'm a bit bonkers about vintage kitchenalia… possibly you've noticed?


And must be in deep now, because I seem to be moving from orange to 70's mustards and browns. Never thought I'd go over to the dark side. But I'm smitten with my Hornsea set, and sure anyway I needed a spice rack.



The spice labels on the little ceramic pots are a sign of the times - Cloves, Nutmeg, Cinnamon - nothing that hot. So a few of them are now home to various degrees of chilli; just have to make sure I don't muddle them up… While I'm on about chilli, the other day I heard someone on telly saying it was good for getting rid of cellulite. Brilliant! I thought…before the happy moment faded. If it's true, by rights I should have peachy smooth thighs. And guess what?

Back to my spice jars, and the wooden rack bit is rather lovely too. It had quite a few old paint splatters, but they came off easily - now up on the wall by the cooker, getting used most days.


My favourite secondhand buy in a while I think.

Chilli chocolate brownie cake anyone?


25 comments:

  1. I Love that spice rack! I buy pretty much anything Hornsea that I come across, my house is full of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my first Hornsea, but not my last…definitely keep an eye out now. Saw some lovely bird salt and pepper shakers on ebay!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Love that find. I'm a bit of a 70s kitchenware and cookbook collector too. Was itching to get out to the car boots this weekend but rain stopped play. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had similar plans, all washed away. Thanks for popping by - lovely to hear from a fellow fan of 70s kitchen stuff! :)

      Delete
  3. Recipe for that chilli choc cake, please! Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Didn't think there'd be any other takers!

      Delete
  4. Your spice rack is lovely Tracey and looks great displayed on the wall. I have a glass cake stand similar to yours and find they are brilliant for making any old flat failure (my cakes!) look appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right about that, it does make cake look better, sort of pops it up a level!

      Delete
  5. That’s a super Hornsea set. I’ve still got an eggcup or two. I remember visiting one of the factories in the seventies (my husband is from Lancaster).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn, I'm on the look out for more!

      Delete
  6. You have such great taste - that 70's spice rack is awesome; I totally remember my grandparents having one, and that cake looks divine! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the spice-jars, they are quite timeless in a funny sort of way. I know one says ginger, but I thought it said gin at first! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) could be home to a little emergency tipple! :)xx

      Delete
  8. I had too much 70's kitchenalia first time round. Oh, the joys of orange and brown decor! Cream shag pile carpet etc etc! The spice jars look great in your kitchen though and I love a good cake too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny, I remember not really liking our kitchen stuff particularly when I was growing up, but those same pieces are the ones I'm buying now. Maybe it's childhood memories, but there's something about the patterns and design too - appeals to me more than they used to. As to the muddy oranges and browns, well, I never thought they'd sway me! Still wouldn't go overboard, but happy with a sprinkling!

      Delete
  9. I love the spice rack! The joys that can be found in charity shops :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you just never know, do you! Thanks Molly :)

      Delete
  10. I have always wanted to bake a cake and display it on a pretty pedestal cake plate, and then I remember I'm not a very good baker. Your brownie cake and stand look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulette! You should get a stand! Think they give any cake a bit of a lift :)

      Delete
  11. Check out you and your Honrnsea spice rack! I'm guessing that's worth quite a bit.

    Thank you for linking up to Magpie Monday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flip! I forgot to say the rack only cost £3! A bit of a bargain if ebay prices are anything to go by x

      Delete
  12. Wow! Lovely to see it in situ in your kitchen and good to hear it is being used. The chilli chocolate brownie cake looks lovely too! x

    ReplyDelete