Monday, 28 April 2014

French Booty

I managed to sneak in un peu de secondhand rummaging during our French trip. Straight after getting our Boulangerie/wine/cheese bearings, I hot footed down to the Tourist Office to find out if there were any Vide Grenier sales nearby - or Brocantes; but they're more antiques fair than flea market, and can be dear... Definitely dear when they clock you're a Brit. Anyway, there was a Vide Grenier nor far from us in the beautiful old town of Pujols, though unlike the summer ones where stalls wind through pretty streets, this was in a field and felt a lot more like our local Car Boot. Even had a grumpy parking attendant.

There was a good old mixture of stuff - a fair sprinkling of grubby broken junk too, and I'm not talking slightly-bust-but-interesting vintage things, which I like, a lot - but rubbish toys and kitchen bits that were even more rubbish because they were broken.  Just an observation, never puts me off - sure finding a gem in the junk is half the fun. 
Not quite how my husband sees it though - his tatometer maxed out on the first row, so I knew my rummaging time was limited. 
Should have gone on my own.

We weren't there long in the end. Still, I managed to come away with a few decent things. This bold flower pattern caught my eye as I trotted by, trying to keep up with the others. I got a mixture of about 20 plates, side plates, bowls and cups for 3 euros. I quite like having a hotchpotch of different plates - none of our crockery matches. 

Thankfully we brought the car.


I'm pretty sure this is a candlestick? It does have some stuff stuck in the top of it…though doesn't look like wax... For 50c thought I'd chance it.


These pictures were 50c - a bit young for the kids now, but I like the illustrations and might use them for something. Not quite sure what.


And - a bit random - 50c for this Kookai skirt: for this Very Short Kookai skirt. A skirt that may get worn, but never ever in public. Great pattern though.


The boys got some candy floss, the 6 year old found a 'Littlest Pet Shop' shop (and almost cried she was so happy) and my husband had 40 winks in the car.  Everyone's happy!

Linking up with all the other Monday Magpies over at Me and My Shadow.

20 comments:

  1. Bahaha, weeping with joy over LPS! We've got one of those kind of kids here too! I don't get it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dire aren't they? Love that your daughter customises hers :) x

      Delete
  2. What a great haul - I love the crockery, I too have a mish-mash of crockery - I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'a mish-mash' pretty much describes my kitchen! Thanks Lorna.

      Delete
  3. Formidable! Great buys Tracey, love the crockery and the weird wooden whatsit. Did you watch Richard E Grant in C4's Dirty Weekenders a couple of weeks ago? I'm dying to get to France this summer so I can find (hopefully) some Vide Grenier's, I've already found one advertised online in Les Sables D'Olonne while we're there. I've even been having lessons to improve my French, c'est vrai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you are good! My french should be so much better than it is. Just looked up Les Sables - very lovely, and by the sea! Great you've found a VG already, sure there'll be others, seem to really pick up in the summer - mostly on sundays but not always. Worth checking at the Tourist Office too. Missed Dirty Weekenders which is a shame. Maybe I could find it online somewhere?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure it will be on 4od, you'd love it. We are staying in a tiny hamlet near Lucon but Les Sables is not far away.

      Delete
    3. Bliss! Thanks for the DW tip :)

      Delete
  4. French Vide Greniers are really like nothing else aren't they? My mum has a little orange book, it's like a year book and it lists them all, you can buy one for each region (guess what we did on our Summer holiday?!) Thank you for linking up with #MagpieMonday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. like the sound of a little orange book! Wonder if it's online somewhere too? Some regions maybe? I've always been able to pick up a leaflet about local VGs at the tourist office, but it'd be great to be able to do a bit of forward planning!

      Delete
  5. I do love a good foreign booty! The Danish flea markets were amazing, and I have sadly only ever been to one here, must sort that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you lucky thing I would love to go Brocante hunting in France! Those animal pictures would convert to fab quilt animals. The candlestick figure is my favourite x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they would make lovely quilt animals! That's a great idea x

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a result to me! Love the rather kitsch candlestick and I’m sure you’ll find a use for every bit of your haul, though they may not look as originally intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) you know me well! Think it's one of the things I enjoy most - finding another use for them x

      Delete
  8. What a haul! I do love the flowery plate set - very retro *me want*. And love the skirt - cushion cover perhaps if it's too small? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! You know it could very well end up being a cushion cover - don't think I'm brave enough to wear it! x

      Delete
  9. Love a French market, love your finds. Really love the plates/bowls etc.
    go on... wear the skirt, it's fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny, when I bought it I just thought it'll be fine…with a tan…and a diet. Going to bring it along on our hols anyway….and then maybe make it into a cushion cover :) Will see!

      Delete