...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Monday, 17 March 2014

Charity Challenge Day 2 - Meal Plan

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!


Day 2 of our Charity Challenge, and I thought this little fellow might distract the kids from the general lack of breakfast on the table this morning...

The egg cosy body and head are crocheted, and the rest is knitted - still more confident knitting the fiddly bits really, especially if I'm making it up as I go along.

Shame we had to share the egg…

Anyway, now you know what I spent the £12 budget on (shopping list is here) I thought I'd run through our 7 day meal plan.

You'll notice I've started and ended the week on a crowd pleaser - the other part of my cunning plan is to make some morale boosting chocolate brownies on Thursday, just when I reckon spirits will be flagging. I'll have to alter recipe quantities as I could only afford 100g of dark chocolate; but it's the good stuff - 74% cocoa.

I'll be doing some recipe fiddling with other things like the apple cake too - it all has to fit with what we've got. The apples are our own; we had a bumper crop last year and stored some in the garage. Mind you most of them are rotten, or look pretty manky…


Not great, but managed to make some reasonably decent stewed apple. A friend has kindly donated 4 eggs from her hens and a few leeks from her garden. I'll be using 4 rather soft looking potatoes I found at the bottom of the cupboard, plus 3 onions. I'll also be using up old bags of flour -some so old I wouldn't be surprised if they started moving, but I'm purposefully not looking at use-by-dates - rather not know…
I've mixed in some of the new plain flour I bought with my old strong flour, for bread-making, and so far so good. A little flat looking maybe, but the kids seem to like it.  I found half a bag of oat bran too, also of questionable age (from a failed attempt at the Dukan diet I think) and I've been adding that to the bread and muffin ingredients.

Breakfast is homemade bread, though I'm hoping there might be some pancakes left over for Thursday morning.

Sunday
Lunch  Pesto pasta with a sprinkle of cheese, then apple crumble.
Dinner Tomato and cheese pizza/garlic bread pizza and peach muffins.

Monday 
Dinner Vegetarian sausages with rosti potato and carrots. Apple cake for afters.

Tuesday
Dinner  Almost Spanish omelette and carrot muffins.

Wednesday
Dinner  Leek and carrot soup with cider bread, followed by pancakes. 

Thursday
Dinner   Not quite Puttanesca pasta and chocolate brownies.

Friday
Dinner Savoury rice and chocolate brownies.

Saturday
Lunch   Lentil soup and homemade bread followed by peach muffins.
Dinner  Tomato and cheese pizza/garlic bread pizza and whatever's left for pudding!


Such a beautiful day on Sunday, so we had our pizzas outside. It was getting a bit parky by teatime, but that didn't seem to matter, seeing as all the grub disappeared in five minutes flat. I used a whole tin of chopped tomatoes and all the passata plus an onion to make the tomato sauce, but only spread a little on the pizzas - the rest has been put away for Thursday's pasta.

I'm really conscious of rationing everything out, and using things like butter/milk sparingly. I've even grated all our cheese into a tub...just makes it look like it'll go further somehow!


I'm doing the £12 Challenge for Sport Relief - if you're interested, my page is here.

18 comments:

  1. I must convert from pounds to dollars, but 12£ doesn't sound like much. Do you have a veggie garden? This challenge would be great with one for the summer (and if your kids ate more veggies). Maybe if they get hungry enough they will eat more vegetables. ;) Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've just started a tiny veg garden - still at the seed growing stage, so no use at the mo. Definitely make the challenge easier, and perhaps the kids would be more interested if we grew our own? Perhaps… :)

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Only $20.00! Success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have converted it, so thanks for doing that :)

      Delete
  3. Love the egg cosy! :D Good luck, the menu sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - rosti went down well tonight, my fussy eater loved the veggie sausages and the cake has disappeared!

      Delete
  4. Your Leprechaun is wonderful Tracey...you are clever! Top marks for taking part in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Fiona..I was pleased with how he turned out, though can't say I'm a big egg cosy user!

      Delete
  5. That egg cosy is fabulous, and your menu is very imaginative for what you have - love what you are doing with the apples! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd almost forgotten about them, glad to be using them up. Might just squeeze another batch out of the ropey ones left in the box :) x

      Delete
  6. Good luck!
    You clever knitting cooking girl xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sal! You should be doing this with me you know! Next time I'll collar you :) xx

      Delete
  7. Sounds a nice varied menu, for only £12. Well done on such creative thinking. And dessert every evening too - yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a rod for my own back with puddings, the kids just expect them now, but have to say a good stodgy dessert is about the only way to properly fill up the eldest. No pud and five minutes after tea he's asking for more food... I'm on a mission to gather as many quick easy pud recipes as I can!

      Delete
  8. Gah! I was going to do this challenge this year. Does it have to be this week? Or did you just hit on this week because you decided to? Good luck, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. done it to tie in with Sport Relief, like last time.That's where the money saved is going. Hard to believe it's been a year since the last one.

      Delete