Tuesday, 14 January 2014

All squared away

One of the first crafty projects I blogged about way back when, was my plan to make a granny square blanket. The idea was I'd crochet a square a day for the 365 days my husband was in Afghanistan, and I'd have a decent sized blanket by the end of it.

Well…… it didn't quite work out like that. For a start I'd only just learnt to crochet, and it took me hours to finish a single square, so I struggled to keep up with my target from day one. Admittedly I got speedier as time ticked on, but other things got in the way, as they do, and when he eventually came home I'd managed about 160, give or take.

They ended up in a bag behind the sofa, with all my other half finished projects, until I spotted them as I was packing for our Ireland Christmas trip and chucked the bag in the car. This turned out to be a pretty good move, because away from all the usual home distractions I started sewing up the squares.


Not always easy, as they're an assortment of sizes - a bit of sympathetic needlework and stretching needed to make them fit in a kind of higgledy piggledy fashion.


I'm really pleased with it. I've almost added all the original squares and it's taken me ages…. so, not a good moment when I laid out what I've done so far and realised it only covered about an eighth of our bed…
Got to crochet quite a few more squares, but it's not going to be a big blanket, more of a throw I think!


Our phone line came down during the storms after Christmas - no hardship at all in light of what many people went through - weird though, feeling cut off like that; not being able to call, no internet and we've no mobile reception here either. Not so bad at the start, but it took a week to get fixed and everyone was pretty hacked off by then.
Still, less Sale surfing so probably saved some money, and I got stuff done. Stuff I've been meaning to do for ages - which also made me think about how much of my life's swallowed up 'checking' things on my laptop. You know what I'm saying…

One tick on my list was covering the top of this very tatty box that sits in the hall.


So useful these old Lloyd Loom blanket boxes - I've bought 4 now from the local auction and never paid more than £12. This one's full of tennis rackets, balls, shin guards and odd socks.

I've been looking for an excuse to get some of this lovely bird fabric from Ikea.


Still haven't bought a staple gun, so hammered in tacks - not brilliantly to be honest, but I'd enough braid to cover them up.


The other thing I did was crochet a beanie - not something I needed to do, but probably my favourite make, because up until the hat I'd only ever crocheted granny squares, a top for a muffin shaped box and a extremely small nest for a tiny felt bird...


Modelled here by my daughter, though it's a bit on the big side.

I gave it to my lovely friend who came to look after the kids so I could go out last Wednesday night. Mid week! I haven't been out during the week for I don't know how long. But New Year, fresh start, and all that - I'm trying to make more of an effort and be less anti-social. Too comfortable hiding away at home.

Also buoyed by this wave of New Year enthusiasm I've been making this…


I'll show you what's inside the box when it's finished :)


Late again, but hopefully not too late for Handmade Monday - do pop over for some crafty inspiration


14 comments:

  1. Love the transformation of your blanket box - lovely!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh that box looks exciting, I wonder what will be inside. I love your blanket/throw, particularly the colours. Your bird fabric is charming too, what a nice way to brighten up a battered trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done on the blanket- looks cozy! its nice once you finish a big project :) love the fabric on the box! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blanket is looking great, I'd love to make one but just don't have the patience. I luurve the up-cycled blanket box too, that fabric is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blanket looks fantastic already - keep going! Love the bird fabric too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful collection of makes Tracey. I love the colours in your blanket/throw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just been bitten by the crochet bug too and at the stage of just learning to make squares (and blog!). Love the colours of your blanket and the up cycling of the blanket box. I might look at for those at our local auction. Would be good for my ever-growing fabric stash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it would be perfect for that. I bid on one recently that was full of fabric - some lovely vintage stuff, but sadly it went above my budget.
      I had a peak and looks like you've really got the hang of crocheting - you'll be on to a blanket in no time!

      Delete
  8. That box covering looks awesome! I really want to try doing something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crocheted blanket looks lovely and I"m sure it will always hold a special place in your heart. Wishing you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented with your creations... love the blanket, the box cover and beanie. Do you sell any of your creations, especially the furniture? You should :o). X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you've very lovely! I have been selling a few bits - fabric/knitted toys - the small pieces of decoupage furniture were quite popular at the Christmas fairs, so will probably do more of that x

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for all the encouraging comments! I'm determined to finish the blinking blanket, but have been distracted by beanie making + have just ordered a book on mini Amiguriumi…

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought you had been quiet! Here's to getting lots of lovely projects done though! :)

    ReplyDelete