Saturday, 21 December 2013

Knitivity



This is my longest ongoing knitting project and probably my favourite. Every year a few more figures arrive at the stable, and I'm almost there - just two shepherds and an ox to go.

A while back I thought I'd lost the donkey, so knitted another one, only to find the original in my daughter's My Little Pony House… and I'd forgotten how many sheep I'd made - a few have wandered out of shot (need another shepherd) - last year I found some fluffy white and brown yarn in a charity shop and got a bit carried away.

I used 'Knitivity' by Fiona Goble. Such a great book. The patterns are easy to follow and the knitting really isn't tricky. Probably the most time-consuming part is the robes, and you do need lots of different colours, which was never going to be a problem for me with my wool hoarding habit..

It's such a lovely thing to have - every year I forget quite how lovely, until we take the figures out of the box and set them on the hall table. Hopefully they'll be making an appearance for years to come.

I've a few old family Christmas decorations that are very dear to me - and who knows, maybe far into the future some small person will be asking his mum why Great Granny knitted so many sheep..


12 comments:

  1. WOW!! this is amazing :D Defo try this for next year! love the sheep how cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you really must! Don't leave it too late in the year to start though! :)

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely set, Tracey - definitely a family heirloom. My mum has a felt wall hanging that she made that comes out every year - it's definitely the thing from my childhood home that I covet. Suspect your knitivity will be similar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be lovely! just hope they don't all covet it - not so sure I want to make another one (or two!)

      Delete
  3. That's absolutely lovely, Tracey - and I'm sure it'll become a family heirloom. I knitted one (many) years ago, but it seems to have disappeared. We had a house with mice in the attic (where stuff like that was stored) years ago - I think they might have chewed it....!? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's such a shame! Makes me think I could do with getting a better box for mine…Thanks Abby x

      Delete
  4. You are sooo clever! I love this. Love the title too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Emma, so glad I persevered with it…second shepherd on his way! :)

      Delete
  5. Tracey, you are SO clever, these figures are adorable. Definitely something to be passed down the generations. Happy Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just gorgeous! I love the stripy tunics and especially love the sheep. Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Helen, I'm fond of the sheep too and that shaggy wool is perfect for them. Very quick to make as well.

      Delete