...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Sunday, 15 December 2013

Festive Fogginess

You know that nagging doubt that festers away when you can't remember if you've done something or not? Cooker left on, door not locked, cat left in, that sort of thing? Well I had one of those coming back from Ikea the other day. I couldn't remember if I'd put the print I'd bought in the boot of the car, or left it propped up by the till.

Guess which one it was.

Yep.

I've been doing this a lot recently. Even lists don't seem to help.
I've already owned up to forgetting my float for last week's Christmas Fair; I've gone to the Post Office to post a parcel without the parcel, and turned up at my photography course without my camera.

And even if I haven't forgotten something, I waste time worrying I have. This is what happens when you don't trust yourself. When you're basically knackered.

But it's just that time of year isn't it? Crawling towards the end of term, trying to be festive, sorting out presents, failing to do Christmas cards, feeling guilty about failing to do Christmas cards.

Of course the kids have all started sniffling and coughing now the holidays are round the corner, so I'll probably be dragging them round Northern Ireland full of the cold, spreading festive germs.

The other thing I do when I'm tired is I stubbornly lock on to very trivial things... I've turned the house upside down looking for my Christmas plates. Now they are lovely, but not that lovely. I've got so much to do, and instead of getting on with it, I've gone and spent hours wading through cupboards looking for two plates, yes Two, that I don't really need.

I wanted one of the plates for the gingerbread house - the one I bought in Ikea when I left the print by the till…

The house kit did make it home, but when we opened it, a few pieces were broken, which reminded me the last time I'd bought one from Ikea it had been in the same crumbly state.

I'd also forgotten how difficult it was to get all the bits to stick together.

'You need to look at the constructions mummy!' The 'constructions' were a fat lot of use, and I ended up holding the chimney for what seemed like ages to stop it slipping off the roof.

So this is our tumble-down cottage - a bit of a horlicks, but it tasted good!



Another thing I can't find at the moment is the useful little RSPCA coin token for trolleys that's been on my keyring for years.  Then I overheard my daughter telling her friend I'd lost my special cat coin and now I couldn't get trolleyed.

Got to love that.

A definite fog-lifter.

20 comments:

  1. Oh Tracey I identify with this completely! I recently got all the way to Aldi before realising I'd left my purse at home and only this week, I too have lost the trolley token from my keyring. Glad it's not just me then. xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely isn't! Nightmare about your purse! A while ago I did the same and had a trolley full of stuff before I realised! Really miss my keyring token, never seem to have pound coins when I need them xxx

      Delete
  2. HeHe! I had to reread that last paragraph three times before I got what you meant. How I ever understood Fawlty Towers and Keeping Up Appearances is still a mystery to me. And to think that with my maiden name being Chapman, I am bound to have distant relatives over there who use trolleys (instead of shopping carts) when buying groceries. Love it and love your blog! By the way, if you paid for the print at Ikea, they will quickly track it down and make it good. That is if you kept your receipt. Hugs, Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Linda :) I did email them and eventually got a reply saying they'd check CCTV, which sounds rather time-consuming! Still got the receipt x

      Delete
  3. Hello Tracey, just popped by from Vintage Tea time blog. Loved what your daughter said about getting trolleyed.Out of the mouths of babes eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed! She has come up with some classics! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Oh no, you can't get trolleyed?! Ha,ha, love it. Your gingerbread house looks like it's been through a bad storm! Actually, I mustn't be too rude, as we bought one of those kits recently at IKEA and I haven't made it yet...... Have a good week, Abby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do let me know how it goes! Bound to look better than ours :) x

      Delete
  5. Sending knowing nods and hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I totally identify with this - I am always worrying about what I may or may not have not done :-( - that in itself is exhausting, don't you find, on top of being already knackered. Your daughter's comment made me smile though. May be you should just break out the gin and be done with it - that's what I'm planning to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny enough I've just bought an assortment of Christmas booze! :)

      Delete
  7. love it- looks yummy :) dont worry i think everyones the same in the run up to xmas- have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more tumbledown it is the better it will taste. An added bonus is that no-one feels guilty about picking at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it disappeared in minutes! The bits covered in icing were especially good :)

      Delete
  9. Well I am glad it's not just me, that's all I am saying! :D Love the little cottage. Someone once told me to make a boiling hot caramel by melting sugar (keeping small people out of the way obviously) works like super glue! :) Have a lovely Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Emma, may try that next time as using icing required a fair bit of patience!
      Happy Christmas to you too :)

      Delete
  10. Well, the loss of memory only gets worse with age. I found a great pic online the other day that said "I swear, if my memory was any worse, I could plan my own surprise party!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..know what you mean! Won't be long before I'm hiding my own Easter eggs….

      Delete