...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Sunday, 27 October 2013

The disappearing rabbit



...the view up the road, just as we set off on our very early school run.

Lifts my spirits on sunny mornings seeing the bright, hopeful sky framed by the trees up ahead. And on this particular morning, as we pulled onto the lane, there was a rabbit sitting bold as brass right in the middle of the road, perfectly silhouetted against the light. I kid you not.

My camera was in the car so I screeched to a halt and wound down the window; but of course by the time I'd fumbled about and was ready to take a photo, the rabbit had gone.
Isn't that always the way?
Some quiet cursing - I waited for a minute, but the kids started nagging me to go, and as I was zipping up my camera case, the blinking rabbit hopped happily back onto the road, stopping for a moment as if to taunt me, before disappearing into the verge on the other side.

I spent the rest of the journey dwelling on the photo that never was.  Mad really - it would probably have looked like nothing more than a black blob on the horizon. But in my head it was perfect.

After Half Term there'll be less bright light shining through the tunnel of trees. Not looking forward to that much. (Just realised I've got muddled....the time change means it should be lighter in the mornings - to start with anyway, so it'll be the run home that'll be dark and depressing)

And talking of the clocks going back, my lovely husband completely forgot about it, and woke me up at 7.
Luckily he brought tea.

10 comments:

  1. That is the most glorious photograph! And how typical! Happens to me with hares here all the time! I have yet to get a good hare pic! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's going to feel so good when you do! One day I'm sure it'll happen. Not convinced I'll see a rabbit in that spot again though! Thanks Emma :)

      Delete
  2. It's a beautiful shot anyway with or without the rabbit x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Silly to dwell on what I missed really - glad my camera was in the car x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank Fiona, always love a sky shot :)

      Delete
  4. That is the most beautiful shot ever, ever. Just gorgeous. What a joy to have that sight in the morning. And pesky rabbit.... cheeky thing hopping back into the road after you left. X

    Ps. Thank you for your lovely comment on my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo is beautiful, what an amazing sky. As for the clocks going back, I missed that, but was completely confused when we arrived home from holiday and there was a five hour difference in time, when it had only been four hours when we left!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds really confusing! Anything to do with that kind of thing takes me a while!

      Delete