Monday, 14 October 2013

Pin Interest

Aren't they pretty?



I found these pin cushions in a box of old sewing things at our local auction - so lovingly and carefully hand stitched - each a beautiful, bright little work of art.



I think they must be from the 50's/60's judging from all the bits and bobs in the box.
I did that sneaky thing of hiding them under all the other stuff, and maybe it worked because I got the lot for eight pounds - a total bargain I reckon.
Far too gorgeous for pins though!

But plenty of things I will be using, like these good dressmaking scissors - one pair made by Singer, which has got to be the rolls royce of scissors, surely...


Really like this Felix the cat yarn winder too, and all the lovely old cards of darning wool.


There's also loads of thread in a rainbow of colours, and a well-used darning mushroom that probably won't get much of an outing..


One other recent secondhand find - this fab, vintage 'Peanuts gang' sheet, in perfect condition. I know it's from the 70's because I found the exact same flat sheet on ebay. Always liked those cartoons with Charlie Brown and Snoopy way back then, and honestly I've never seen my other half get so excited about one of my charity shop buys. Ever.
Sentimental old softie.



Linking up with Liz's treasure trove of secondhand goodies over at Magpie Monday.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! What fantastic finds! I'd be so happy if I come across that lot x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love coming across boxes like that at auction, just wish it happened more often! x

      Delete
  2. Not only did you get a box of treasures, but at a reasonabe price too. The last time I had the opportunity to buy old wooden cotton reels with thread still on them the stallholder expected me to pay more because they were 'vintage'. The pincushions are absolutely beautiful and someone spent many happy hours crafting those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the needlework is amazing - such tiny, perfect stitches. I've put the pin cushions on my dresser so I can gaze adoringly at them :)

      Delete
  3. Oh those pin cushions are beautiful. excellent finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness what awesome finds! I was a massive Peanuts fan back in the day.

    But I'm in LOVE with your sewing box find. I've been 'had' before when buying boxes of trinkets at the auction, bits mysteriously disappear before you can collect the lot :0(

    I bet that Felix winder is worth a few bob to a collector.

    But the crowning glory must be those pin cushions - wowee!

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, I've had my whole lot disappear before now, so always try to collect quick smart, to avoid things wandering.Thanks for the tip about the Felix winder, I'll have to look into that! x

      Delete
  5. Lovely sewing notions, well done on a successful bid. The pin cushions are gorgeous, just look at the work gone into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO much! I'd love to be able to embroider like that.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a beautiful haul! The cushions are too nice for pins as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a trove of gorgeous things!
    That Peanuts sheet is definitely 70s - my friend had some on her bed when we were kids in the 70s. I'd forgotten all about it until now!

    ReplyDelete