...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Nostalgic Knit


It fits!
Such a relief.
Almost 2 years since I cast on the first stitches, and quite honestly after all that time I wasn't holding out much hope. Mind you he's not allowed to grow for a while...apart from his arms, they can grow; for some reason I got a bit carried away with the sleeves...

I'm thinking it would make a perfect Christmas jumper, and bless him, he's promised he'll wear it because he knows how long it's taken me. Though sense there might eventually be some bribery involved.

I was given the pattern decades ago by a friend who was well aware of my love of all things Tintin. I had every single book of course, and couldn't for the life of me understand why my sister didn't like them - I mean what's not to like about a plus-four wearing mildly rascist reporter whose best friend is a suicidal alcoholic?
But none of that stuff, nor the lack of women, bothered me in the slightest when I first started reading the books - they were just cracking adventure stories as far as I was concerned. Adults do have a knack of ruining things sometimes.

I've passed my Tintin collection onto the kids, and the boys dip into them from time to time - and the 8 year old seems genuinely pleased with his jumper... though we all know who it's really for :)

16 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is amazing, it looks great on him. Well done you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This jumper is bloody fantastic Tracey, I love it. You've made a brilliant job of it and the neckline is gorgeous. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the neckline, wasn't really sure how to finish it, and always worry I'm going to make the neck too small and tight. He's even been wearing the jumper to bed which has got to be a good sign! Thanks Fiona

      Delete
  3. What a fab jumper. My mummy knitted (or is that knat?) a Captain Haddock jumper for Blue last year - with an anchor on the front - but no where near as good as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet it didn't take her two years though! Love the sound of Blue's jumper - I've lots of other Tintin/Haddock/Snowy patterns, but won't be rushing to start another one just yet!

      Delete
  4. It is fabulous! Great job.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Tracey - retro is definitely cool where this little lad is concerned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased he likes it - he's quite funny about clothes, lots of things he won't wear even when bribed...

      Delete
  6. I'm full of admiration Tracey. You've hit the nail on the head with that remark about who it's really for and I could say that about any number of items I've crafted for my own children and grandchildren; for instance I'd always wanted one of those upside-down dolls myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes! that would be fabulous, and fun to do I'm sure. You'll have to make one for your grandaughter ;)

      Delete
    2. I made one for my daughter thirty years ago and she still has it!

      Delete
    3. how lovely! Do hope the kids keep hold of some of the things I've made them.

      Delete
  7. I am so jealous, I can't knit to save my life!! Amazing! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma :) I'm very sloooow, but so glad I managed to finish it! xx

      Delete