Monday, 16 September 2013

Vive les VGs!

Seems like a distant memory now (doesn't take long!), but one of the things I loved on holiday was pootling about secondhand street sales; the sort of French equivalent of car boots. No shortage of tat, for sure, but it's French tat, and that makes all the difference...

The best way to find out about any local sales is to pick up a list at the Tourist Office, and you're looking for Vide Greniers which quite perfectly means 'empty attics', and there are plenty of dusty old boxes crammed full of all manner of things that look like they haven't seen the light of day for decades.
Now personally I love rummaging through them, because you just never know...there's always that faint chance you might find a little undiscovered treasure...under the cobwebs and the layers of grime.

No real treasures this time though, but I didn't do too badly. These small dishes were genuinely filthy - there was a fair amount of soil in them, from a previous plant pot life.
They're by Tefal, made of melamine and cost 50c.


Some jolly glasses, verging on kitsch...or maybe they're there already?


This mug is a bit chipped, but I already have a jug with the exact same pattern on it, and like the simple apple design. Weirdly I got the jug near home in Leominster.


LOADS of marbles for a euro - they look pretty good in a clear glass vase with the light streaming through.


The stand only cost one euro, and I bought it picturing a show-stopping cake sitting on top.....this hasn't happened yet.

A few bits and bobs for my toy making - the scarves are bunny bound, and I thought the vintage dress would make an interesting elephant?


I'd really hoped to find more vintage games like the domino cards from last year - the ones in my blog header - but you know the way it goes when you're looking for something. To make up for the lack of games, I got quite a few old 60's children's books.


Some I bought hoping they might help improve my appalling French, the others I picked up for the illustrations.
Love this one.



So I might use them in a decoupage project, if I can think of something suitable and worthy, because they're far too lovely to waste.

This 50's school poster cost more than everything else put together - 12 euros - but it was one of those rare occasions when the other half and I were equally enthusiastic; and it's in lovely condition.


There's a scene on the other side too.


Just think, around 60 years ago this would have been hanging on a classroom wall, maybe for English lessons? Plenty to talk about when you take a close look.

Linking up with Liz's marvellous Magpie Monday

13 comments:

  1. How have you been? I've missed you on Magpie Monday.

    I spent seven glorious days searching out Vide Greniers in France this summer - still yet to post my purchases!

    The marbles are a great buy and the French illustrations are fabulous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks Liz! Just haven't done so much secondhand perusing recently, miss it though, and have noticed a few promising looking charity shops in the town where the kids are now at school...
      Look forward to seeing your French finds! x

      Delete
  2. I love a bit of French tat myself, not that I've got any, mind. We've just booked a holiday in France for next year so shall be looking out for VG's. Your finds are lovely... and cheap! I love the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking, you could probably check the local Tourist info website and find out about any handy VGs before you go...or is that me being over keen?! x

      Delete
    2. Not at all, great idea. Will have to bookmark this post tho' otherwise I'll forget.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous stuff - especially that dress and the books & poster. We didn't make it to France this year, but I have high hopes for next. Hope you are well & the kids are settling in to new schools xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, they all seem happy, think I'm the only one who's struggling with the new routine! xx

      Delete
  4. Love the little dishes and the marbles were a great bargain! Love things which double up looking fabulous and fun to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just wish the kids were better at putting them back - I'm fed up picking up marbles! :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous finds but those books are lovely. And all those marbles for a euro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a bargain wasn't it? One of the first things I bought, really heavy though!

      Delete
  6. A great haul. I love the apple cup especially! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a Scandinavian look about it don't you think? Thanks Emma :)

      Delete