...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Monday, 15 July 2013

First order and a new name!

..I know what you're thinking, but I'm not changing the blog title again... the new name's for my handmade toys..


What do you reckon? The 'Jumble' is because they're all made from secondhand/recycled fabric and clothes, and 'Betty' is of course the name of my ancient, much loved Camper.
They're just ordinary name tapes ordered at the same as the ones for the kid's new uniforms, and the plan is to machine them in as tags - the trouble is, I keep forgetting to do it, SO daft! And my first, small order left home without a single label. They're also a bit on the big side for the birds and mice, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I might get hold of smaller woven name tapes?


Is it slightly mad to admit I felt a little sad parcelling up my first order? I don't seem to be that good at letting go...something I need to work on, because I can't possibly keep any more (husband nodding enthusiastically at this point)
The house is coming down with soft creatures, and a fair number of cardboard ones.
It's time to start thinking of them as stock..


The other thing I've got to work on is my urge to fuss. If I'm selling a small owl for a few pounds, it doesn't make a lot of sense to faff about with it for ages. Obviously it's important to have a good finish, but I need to be more efficient with my time, and PUT THE OWL DOWN - that's what I'm going to be telling myself. Or trying to anyway!

Once I'd actually managed to get the order in the post there was a rather anxious wait, and I was so relieved when the buyer messaged to say she was happy and would be back in touch in the autumn.


Really feels like the last week has whizzed by in a bit of a blur - it's been manic in the run up to the end of term, still I did get round to making these small owl lavender bags for teacher's presents.

And thank you so much for all the helpful comments about the elephant's ears - it was pretty evenly split between the two, and I'm going to keep on doing both - woolly and fabric, but went with bright orange crocheted ears for this one.
Keep your shades on!



Linking up with lovely Handmade Monday

21 comments:

  1. Jumble Betty is an excellent name. Yes, I can imagine it would be difficult to "let go" especially when your critters are so darn cute. I'm sure it'll get easier as time goes by. Good luck with everything. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the name, Tracey! Where are you selling them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those ones will be travelling around a few craft fairs in London, and hope to get enough together over the summer to do a fair myself in the run up to christmas. Possibly thinking about Etsy too, my sister knows the ropes so could help me out! Thanks R :)

      Delete
  3. Those labels make the toys look so...profesional! Good luck with the business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early days, but great to make a start! Thank you Marilyn

      Delete
  4. I love all your little toys - I'd feel sad about sending them off too. I like the name tags for your toys, such a good idea to get the woven name tapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how they look, just need to remember to sew them in the right way up...there are a few wonky ones!

      Delete
  5. awww your little menagerie look soooo adorable all together! I can completely understand you finding it hard to part with them, they are your babies! (okay now i sound crazy... :))

    love the orange ears for ellie and your mini owls look really cute with their labels x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really doesn't sound that crazy!!
      So glad you like them x

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely fun name that goes so well with your makes - a very good choice. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you too! So pleased you like the name :)

      Delete
  7. I think 'Jumble Betty' is a lovely name. What a great way of getting labels made. Just make sure you don't sew them onto your children's clothes by mistake !!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) and I've got so many name tapes to do because all 3 of them are moving schools in september!! Need to start now! xx

      Delete
  8. I sooo understand your struggle to let go! I really want to keep all that I make, which is very impractical.... Love the new labels!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ingrid! You're absolutely right, it's totally impractical! Hoping I'll get better at letting go :)

      Delete
  9. Lots of lovely jumbly creatures. I can see why you find it hard to part with them. I love the eyes on the owls, so pretty like flowers. I think Jumble Betty sounds wonderful, now you've just got to remember to sew them in. Sounds like something I'd forget to do. Have a crafty week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so pleased you like the name Ali - great to get positive feedback about that, and makes it all feel a bit more real! The eyes on the small owls are from a piece of daisy braid and they make life a lot easier because I'm not at all keen on cutting out felt circles!
      Thankfully seem to be getting better at sewing in the labels.. :)

      Delete
  10. I did wonder for a second there! I LOVE the name, it's perfect! Well done you! Will be back to my usual commenting capacity next week when I am back in Munich! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I'm disappearing for a bit, but look forward to reading all about your trip when I get the chance x

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! They are absolutely beautiful and it's a great name. I'm sure you'll get the hang of letting go once those orders roll in!

    ReplyDelete