Monday, 10 June 2013

Tooth Fairy Cushion

'WHY aren't my teeth falling out mummy?'
Totally over-dramatic, but I know what she's on about.
She's six; quite a few of her friends have wobbly teeth, and there's talk of the Tooth Fairy...


Now obviously the Tooth Fairy already knows where we live...but has, on occasion, found it VERY tricky to locate the little pearly whites in the pitch dark, because both my boys have insisted on burying them under their pillows...
Anyway I thought I'd stay ahead of the game with number 3 and make her a Tooth Fairy cushion, after seeing some gorgeous ones online.


Spotted this bright pink jumper on the pound rail in a local charity shop for the cushion bit.


I've made plenty of cushions out of old jumpers, and there's a more detailed run through of what to do here. Honestly it's very easy, and no zips or buttons to deal with. Mine is a 12" square cover.
I drew an appropriately sized fairy on a piece of tracing paper, then followed this as a guide to knit a dress shape.

All the other bits are cut out of felt using the tracing paper fairy as a pattern.
A little bundle of wool for the hair and a square of felt for the tooth bag.
The sewing-on took a while, but a good in-front-of-the-telly job and worth it, because she loves her cushion.

So we're all ready; well I'm not - never really ready to pass another milestone, especially as she's the youngest. I also have a strong feeling she won't be quite as forgiving as the boys if the Tooth Fairy gets a bit snowed under and em, you know just happens to..accidentally...forget...



Linking up with Handmade Monday

33 comments:

  1. Tracey, it's gorgeous! I won't show Pink as she's bound to feel badly done by... Hope for her sake the teeth start dropping - Pink's took ages to start wobbling too. We're waiting for one to come out at the moment in fact...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TF standby! D was slow getting her baby teeth, so she'll probably be slow to lose them. But don't think I'll tell her that!

      Delete
  2. Very cute and practical cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so lovely! What a lucky daughter you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sooz! Enjoyed making it and know it's going to be handy!

      Delete
  4. Its beautiful - and such a nice idea to make sure you can find the tooth! I will definitely make one for when my little one starts to get the wobbly teeth (although I've got time - she's only 2)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got plenty of time :) Thanks Lucy

      Delete
  5. I bet your daughter is really pleased with the cushion, it's really sweet.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. got such a bit smile when I gave it to her! x

      Delete
  6. Aaahh, that is so lovely. It looks great. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure your daughter will keep this cushion long after the supply of lost teeth has ended. My favourite bit is the knitted frock, which gives the fairy more depth. It's much better than just using a felt frock. You must have used teeny stitches to sew her onto the cushion.
    Hope you have a creative week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I like the knitted dress too, originally planned to knit more of it, but thought the arms/legs might be tricky. Don't think my sewing stitches are as teeny as they could be!

      Delete
  8. It's a beauty. I really must get cracking; my five year old grandson has already lost a tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to think of a suitable boy one :)

      Delete
  9. That is so adorable! My kids use a little store-bought box their grandmother bought them. One of my 7-year-olds has lost 6 teeth and the other only two, so they all go at different rates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 11 year old still has some to lose, in fact both boys have been slow to lose teeth, and looks like the youngest is going to be the same whether she likes it or not!

      Delete
  10. That's really gorgeous. Your crafting skills are fabulous! X.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's special. Yes, we have "lost" teeth too. Mostly they have been swallowed and then a letter had to be written to the Tooth Fairy explaining it... Your pillow is so cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh we've had a swallowed one! And my now 8 year old has written some hilarious letters to the TF that I've held on to! Thanks Jan

      Delete
  12. Looks fab - you are so clever! We never had the tooth fairy visit our house, as Will was insistent he didn't want her in his bedroom. So I told him it wasn't real, to put his mind at rest. Shame, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a shame. My eldest was funny about it too - didn't like the thought of magical strangers in his room! Especially Father Christmas. Got so bad when he was 6 that we had to spill the beans about FC and the TF. Have to say he's been pretty good at not spoiling it for the others.

      Delete
  13. A brilliant tooth fairy cushion - and probably much more easy to find than the little boxes my two used that could take long and noisy searching for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) Should make TF duties much easier!

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous! Please tell your six year old that my six year old is very miffed too as he doesn't have a single wobbly tooth yet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the trials of teeth. My son has lost three but we have only seen one as he has lost the other one and so have had to write a letter to tell the fairy where to find them. With the last one she forgot so we assumed she was really busy and he would be first on the list the next night! I have made my eldest a cushion but it is no where near as fancy as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they can get very busy can't they?? I've had to explain that a few times....:)

      Delete
  16. Brilliant idea. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete