Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Material Gains

Honestly I was on the verge of breaking into a run when I saw this. Swept along by a wave of excitement and a sudden irrational fear that someone might get to it first.... a bit nuts seeing as I was the only one in the shop.



Love anything with a Skandi look - that bold, simple design, with a kind of retro 70's feel. Though possibly Dutch?  Not sure. Anyway I couldn't have been happier with my piece of fabric, and used every last thread of it to make this large cushion.


I found the material in a place called Rose Tinted Rags in Hereford, which is supported by a local charity and described in the blurb as a Recycled Textiles and Art Centre. It's way more fabulous than it sounds.

Crammed full of glorious reclaimed/donated/salvaged fabric, wool, haberdashery...the list goes on... believe me, it's a kind of secondhand crafty heaven.
The talented twosome who run it also hold quite a few sewing/craft/upcycling workshops at the centre - some for people with learning disabilities, others for anyone who's interested. There's definitely a buzzy, creative vibe going on.

I usually make a beeline for the piles of vintage fabric.
Never seem to leave empty handed.


Now I've got to get cracking with all these lovely bits and pieces...
And... (cue gentle drum roll)... I have my first order!
Just a small one, but it's a start.


Linking with lovely Handmade Monday

18 comments:

  1. What gorgeous fabric, love the cushion you've made with it and v.cute owls. Got myself a fab bargain today also, I'm chuffed to bits but it needs a makeover before I reveal it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo that sounds exciting! Look forward to seeing it :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh, what fabulous bits you've got. Er hem, that doesn't sound right at all. Beautiful fabric and that cushion cover is gorgeous. Well done you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happen to know you've got fab bits too Loo...often admire your vintage fabric collection! Really pleased with the Skandi material, just wish there'd been a little more of it! xx

      Delete
  3. That sounds an interesting place; what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is! So many tempting things and all reasonably priced too.

      Delete
  4. That first fabric looks very Scandinavian to me! Love the rest of it too, what a fab place! Super cute owls as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thought you'd have a pretty good idea about the origins of the fabric! Thanks Emma :)

      Delete
  5. Great cushion you made with your fabric piece - isn't it weird how the moment you really want something you get panicky that everyone else wants it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it! Crazy really! So glad you like the cushion.

      Delete
  6. The cushion looks really good - shows of the fabric very well! Think I will have to start noting down all the fabric crafty places I read about so I can visit when I am travelling! Rose tinted Rags sounds wonderful place to browse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great idea! Wouldn't it be fab to have some kind of guide - must be lots of inspiring places like RTR.

      Delete
  7. Really lovely big cushion - I can just imagine me seeing it and worrying someone else would get there! So I know how you feel. Love your little owls too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your order. Love the material. Sounds like a great little place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The material is gorgeous and has made a wonderful cushion. And your owls are SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that fabric too (a bit jealous actually), it reminds a me of a vintage Clothkits kit I was given that I have been meaning to turn into a cushion. I might go and dig it out...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have done the same!It makes a great cushion.

    ReplyDelete