Monday, 6 May 2013

When a crafty idea gets wheels

My other half smiled and rolled his eyes when I showed him what I'd made last week: he's pretty used to my random knits, so always good to know I can still surprise him!

It is funny sometimes the things that spark a crafty idea; this one came from seeing Wendy's gorgeous campervan bag, which got me thinking about our camper, Betty - and as I've been making quite a lot of woolly cake and the like, I thought I'd knit a Betty...


As with all my make-them-up-as-you-go-along projects, this looks totally different from the picture I had in my head.. For a start, the plan was to make it small enough so I could stuff it with lavender and dangle it from the rear view mirror - a bespoke/personalised van air freshener if you like; but it turned out bigger than expected, and would I think be a driving hazard...so I'm not sure!


Maybe a novelty lavender bag, or it could join the toy camper collection on the windowsill. OR perhaps I should stick with the original idea and put the mini Betty in Betty, just somewhere that doesn't block my view..

I don't think the knitted camper will be going into mass production...a bit on the fiddly side with all the detail, and I found it hard to get the shape right, but my newly acquired flat circle crochet skills came in handy for the wheels. Anyway it was fun to do, and what do you think? A dead ringer??..




Linking up with the ever so lovely Handmade Monday

28 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cool, I'd live a camper van - real or knitted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah, it is lovely. I know you said no mass production, but I bet it would prove to be very popular. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's superb - you've got it right down to a T - in fact I can't tell which is the real campervan and which the knitted one! Abby X

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so, so gorgeous! Even though I can't knit, I added that to my Pinterest. It's excellent - love all the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracey. I LOVE this. Do you do commissions? I (seriously) have 2 people that I could think of that these would make excellent presents for - the Husband being one of them. Just had the most fantastic weekend in Daisy, knocking around north Devon. The camper van love affair just seems to get stronger. Did Betty get out in the sun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she did! But only for a day trip. Still working on the OH, but think a tray or two of your scrumptious flapjacks + the promise of bacon sarnies should bring him round! Glad you had such a blissful weekend - was thinking of you out in Daisy. As for commissions, once I've got a few things out of the way I should be able to do that. Still not completely happy with the shape, but have some ideas x

      Delete
  7. Absolutely perfect and it should live inside Betty somewhere. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SO much for all your lovely comments! I wasn't completely sure about the knitted Betty, but feel much more confident now. Need to iron out a few glitches and then have another go :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betty is beautiful! You are really clever at being able to make the pattern up, the detail is awesome. She should definitely have pride of place somewhere in Big Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever. That is cute and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's brilliant! Where do you find the time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Tracey I love both Betty's they're gorgeous.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a dead ringer! It'll look lovely inside your van. It's Betty's 'mini me'!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Knitted Betty is so sweet. Why not make her bigger. She's look really good as a child's toy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is amazing! I wonder what you would make of our London Taxi, called Rocket by the children although it's anything but!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a knitted black taxi would look cool! Love that the kids called it Rocket :)

      Delete
  16. Brilliant! It's the little details on this van that really make it, fab!

    ReplyDelete