Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Timely makeover

Very pleased with my latest charity shop buys, even if they were a bit manky looking.
I had plans for these tatty two pounders; just needed to find some paint...and a suitable excuse.


So the stool's to go with my revamped sewing machine trolley, and the little useful table is going to be.. useful. That's my story. And there were questions and eyebrows raised on friday when my other half spotted them, tucked in a corner of the spare room. But bless him, he's well used to coming home to shabby bits of furniture. Think I've already mentioned we live a mile away from the local auction...

Anyway, thought it best to be speedy with the makeover. I gave them both a quick sand and slapped on some trusty Blackfriars primer before using up two old blue tester pots.

The top of the stool was screwed in and easy enough to remove. The original pad was under the grim blue pleather, but there were a few rips, and I wanted to use some IKEA material left over from my campervan curtain-making nightmare...


Never quite sure how to cover the top of things, so I've had varying degrees of success; but this time I used the pleather as a guide, cutting the material to size, and copying the corner folds, and it seemed to come together pretty well.



I love the little table I covered in vintage domino cards (the ones in my blog header)
Still won't let anyone use it. I bought these watch dominos in a charity shop a while ago and thought they'd work on my new blue table.


Used PVA to glue them on the top - just had to cut a few to fit around the edge. Then several coats of clear matt varnish and that was it.



Both seem to have won over the doubters..and now I've got this old chair tucked in the corner of the spare room...



Linking up with Ta-dah! Tuesday over at Lakota's

22 comments:

  1. What great makeovers, bargains for two quid. Such a pretty shade of blue and I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, I've quite a lot of the fabric left..good excuse to look out for something else to cover :)

      Delete
  2. They both look great now! I covered a stool yesterday - using a staple gun made it easier. Love the green chair too! Have a good 1/2 term! Abby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to get a staple gun! Think that every time I try to cover something. I quite like the chair as it is, but it's tattier than it looks in the pic and hasn't been so well received! I'll probably paint it, or maybe decoupage if I'm feeling brave enough! Thanks Abby x

      Delete
  3. Tracey these are lovely and bright. I'm looking for a useful table too, but so far no joy. I'm not sure I'd be able to do such a good job as you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And quite sure you will! Hope you find one soon x

      Delete
  4. I love the green chair. The shape is charming. Your stool and table turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma Kate, the chair was another two pounder - from the local auction. I like the colour, but seem to be the only one here who does!

      Delete
  5. These are lovely! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do the chair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get thinking! Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. These both look brilliant. I love the conveyor belt of furniture into your spare room...
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) always seems to be something extra in there - know OH is hoping one day it'll just be a spare room, rather than a handy place to store old tatty furniture x

      Delete
  7. Brilliant makeovers - you are the queen of craftiness what with this, your amazing loo roll animals and knitted cakes! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very lovely of you! You're way too kind!
      Thanks Caroline x

      Delete
  8. Fantastic makeovers! You should set up a little business! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks Emma! Can manage a few things, not sure I'd be great at making a lot! But maybe one day.. :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely make-overs. Love the colours and the prints. X.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these pictures - they are really inspirational
    Emma x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tracy!
    I'm used to do some things with cardboard tubes and I saw a link in a Brazilian website for your beautiful roll animals. As they put only the tutorial for the elephant, I decided to come here to see the other ones.
    Wow... I loved the inspirational ideas you shared with these pictures of the table and chair! I had been in London last August and I loved to know all that charity shops! They really have so many good items for everybody, for every purpose! Really loved it!!! :)
    I'm a Brazilian teacher working with children and I love recycling, so I'm going to do some roll animals like yours with them.
    Thank you so much for sharing your great ideas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Fatima and so pleased you like the animals! I've really enjoyed making them and will be posting some more ideas over the next few weeks. Thanks so much for following too :)

      Delete