Monday, 13 May 2013

It's the way you sell them...

We took Betty to the car boot on sunday - a bit of a selling ploy to help shift some of our cupboard clobber.  She proved quite a draw last time, did old Betty!


My husband came too, which meant no being at the end of the queue, or getting stuck in the overflow field away from all the action. He's as good at being early as I am at being late...think it's an army thing..
Though no need to be up at the crack of dawn for our local car boot - it starts at 2. Well, that's the advertised time, but if you turn up at 2 you'd be pretty disappointed as most of the good stuff has gone by then. The regulars are doing the rounds at one.

Anyway, we were really early to set up, and the other bonus of having my husband there is he loves selling stuff. Honestly, he's like a charming, tat-selling Arthur Daley. Absolutely in his element. So, as he was very happy to get on with it, I slinked off for a wander; though didn't manage a solo slink, because the youngest wanted to come too, darn it!
Actually having her with me turned out to be quite a good thing, because she was able to try on this lovely Boden coat. Probably could have haggled it down from £4, but know how much they go for on ebay, so I was happy enough.


Not sure which of us was more excited about finding Angelina Ballerina and her sweet collection of clothes. Only a pound - just need to mend a ballet shoe.


In among the trestle tables packed with clothes and toys I spied this lovely vintage pyrex type casserole dish, also £1.  I've a smaller one in the same pattern, so obviously had to buy it.. (though I've nowhere to put it..)



This was my favourite find - seven painted wooden clown skittles for 50p. They were one of those don't-hesitate-for-a-second buys. Always seems to be vintage/oldish toys with me! Or something with a fish on it.


When we eventually got back to Betty, my other half was in full flow, persuading some poor mum that her son really needed all three books of Match Attax cards...


Linking up with marvellous Magpie Monday over at Liz's shiny new place!


14 comments:

  1. Oooh hope you made lots of money/cleared lots of stuff at the boot sale.

    I love your skittles they're very cool.

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - there were loads of boots, so a bit spoilt for choice if you were buying, not that great for selling - still, we did OK and cleared a decent space in the cupboard...which will probably soon be full again, with stuff for the next one! x

      Delete
  2. Wow, you did well! My mum used to have a pyrex dish with that exact same pattern when I was a kid! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love the pattern - wonder if I remember it from my childhood too, because there's something really familiar about it. Isn't it often the way that you're drawn towards things you remember. Thanks Caroline x

      Delete
  3. I adore the pyrex. I found you via MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that being a car boot seller is a catch 22: you're there early enough to pick up the best stuff but stuck on your stall so you can't look around! Lovely finds - I've got a casserole dish in the same design but sadly minus the lid. £4 for the coat is still a real bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not as good as your parka though!
      You're so right, deeply frustrating being there before the crowds and not being able to look! Great this time to sneak off for 10 minutes :)

      Delete
  5. OOh some great finds - I need to go booting again havent been for a while - I am fair weather and only go when the sun is shining! Just popped over from Magpie Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma :) Definitely more tempting to go when it's sunny, but less competition when it's not!

      Delete
  6. Some good finds there. Love the Boden coat! And the skittles are great. I love car boots! The one at Ross-on-Wye on a Sunday morning is good. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll have to try the Ross one, not too far from here. Thanks Abby! x

      Delete
  7. Sounds like the perfect solution! Someone to sell all of your gear while you get to browse and find some great things! I like your style! Mr R and I have only ever done one car boot, and both of us said never again. I remember people literally trying to open the boot of our car when we first turned up. I thought we had arrived in some Zombie film! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! That's happened to us, but this time we were too early even for the boot vultures, so all good! Now the kids are older we let them have their own table to sell some of their old things, and they love it! The boys sold quite a few old gameboy games and made more money than we didl!

      Delete