Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Cocktail Times - The Gallery


I love a cocktail. Many of my happiest, fuzziest memories of nights out involve a cocktail or several. They are so ridiculously easy to drink aren't they? Sweet, colourful, fun, with extra twiddly bits and an umbrella if you're lucky. What's not to like?

I remember working through all the different daiquiris; all the ones with crazy names; finding out what was in a Long Island Iced Tea (thought it was just rum and coke..); 2-4-1 nights; delicious Bloody Marys, and a memorable Blue Lagoon that was so huge you could've sailed a small toy dinghy across it.
All a long time ago now... before you start thinking I'm some kind of old lush, and I haven't had one for ages. Sooo, the Gallery's 'Drink' theme seemed like a perfect excuse to make one...and I went for a Sea Breeze...because it's easy and I had some cranberry juice.
It's a sharper tasting cocktail, but I don't tend to like them as sweet as I used to, and fancied something refreshing. Should really have sand and crashing waves behind it, but sitting on our wall looking out over the fields will always do for me.

I mixed 40ml of vodka with 30ml of grapefruit juice and 120ml of cranberry juice, lots of ice and a slice of lime, well, lemon in this case - then waited till the kids were asleep, sneaked out to the wall, enjoyed the peace as the day faded, and raised a glass to happy memories.

So what's yours? Do you have a favourite cocktail? 

The Drinks are lining up over at The Gallery this week. 

34 comments:

  1. I love a cocktail, and drink them at least on a weekly basis at home. My favourite for ages was an apple martini, but I'm firmly stuck on margaritas at the moment, with the odd Harvey Wallbanger thrown in for variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really like the sound of an apple martini! Think my love of cocktails may have been rekindled, after a very happy sea breeze evening! Though more fun with company, so maybe I'll make it a weekend thing :)

      Delete
  2. I have never had one, but i need to rectify this as soon as possible! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now the problem with a cocktail is that it's toooo drinkable! (and the consequences are disastrous!) I had a very messy evening on one too many Brandy Alexanders once....couldn't touch that drink now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is the problem! So easy to get carried away on cocktails, and hardly notice until it's too late... Have a similar aversion to anything with southern comfort in it! ;\

      Delete
  4. My current favourite is an Aperol Spritz which is perfect for hot warm summery weather. But as we don't have any of that, I will just stick to the odd glass of red! Great post! Cin cin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aperol Spritz is one I haven't tried, just looked it up and it sounds delicious! Will keep an eye out for Aperol, wonder if it's easy enough to get here? Thanks Emma :)

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, I love a cocktail too. My favourite used to be a margerita, hands down, but I had a delicious mojito not so long ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you know, I think my favourite would be a Mojito. Had more than a few at a party a fair while ago now and loved it, so tried to make my own...not quite as lovely, but there's plenty of mint in the garden..maybe have another go? :)

      Delete
  6. That looks so nice I have to say and I don't drink!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds nice, thanks for the recipe! I'm quite partial to a simple rhum and coke but I really like cocktails with different fruit juices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fond of rum and coke too - very good with a squeeze of lime or lemon in it. Hope you like the Sea Breeze - if it's too sharp, switch the grapefruit juice for orange (a Madras) - or for even sweeter, switch it for pineapple juice (Bay Breeze) I always enjoy the experimenting bit!

      Delete
  8. Sounds lovely - a bit like a cosmopolitan which is my knock-out drink of choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very similar to a cosmopolitan - think I'll have to try that next :)

      Delete
    2. They are ace - but leathal :)I made a couple last year after I stopped breast feeding and the room was spinning when I went to bed that night!

      Delete
    3. can imagine! Think the triple sec gives it an extra kick!!

      Delete
  9. Lovely photo. I'm rather partial to a banana daiquiri, Margherita and Mojito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could quite happily work through all of those! x

      Delete
  10. I love a mojito but this one looks gorgeous, i might need to try it :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just the thing to drink, sitting on your lovely deck :)

      Delete
  11. I love mojitos - but I have to say a Sea Breeze sounds pretty fine! Cool pic! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Just had another one :) Thanks Abby x

      Delete
  12. I don't drink alcohol very often these days, but when I do I'm rather partial to a Cosmopolitan (which also involves cranberry juice and vodka)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post.made me very thirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! That sounds really, really refreshing :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh it is! Perfect for a hot day...hopefully we'll get one of those soon? :)

      Delete