Monday, 15 April 2013

When one cake leads to another..

So the knitted piece of cake box went down a treat and I'm on a bit of a patisserie themed roll now - cupcakes next!
The thing was, to make one, I needed to get the hang of crocheting flat circles, as I'd only ever crocheted granny squares and small flowers before.
Now believe it or not I did follow a basic pattern, but obviously not very well..


Madly frustrating, because I kept ending up with little nests/hats (one presently being worn by a small Sylvanian Families mouse)  After far too many failed attempts and a quick check on YouTube, I realised I wasn't increasing enough on each round... and then thankfully managed my first flat circle.


I knitted the side of the cupcake in one piece - love crochet, but still more at home with knitting needles - and increased by a few stitches to make it a cupcake shape. The icing on the top is another crocheted circle, and this time, when it was the right size for the opening, I did a few rows without increasing so the edge curled in (lots of practice at that), and it fits neatly over the cake part of the box.

crocheted cupcake box

I was especially pleased with the raspberry - one of my circle disasters with a green crocheted flower sewn on top. And the other little nests didn't go to waste either: I made some teeny tiny felt birds!
Not quite as random as it might sound - I used to make all kinds of tinsy felt animals, only difference is now I need my glasses..

tiny felt birds
tiny felt birds in crocheted nests


Linking up with Handmade Monday for the first time

15 comments:

  1. Your cupcake box is adorable and the raspberry is really pretty. The birds look so sweet in their nests. Thanks for sharing.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cupcake box! And I love how you used up all your 'failed attempts' in such a creative way - the felt birds in their nests are so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. enjoyed making little felt things again - will have to do more!! x

      Delete
  3. So cute. It seemed that you learnt a bit through this activity. I love that the cakes are like little secret boxes and very decorative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, definitely learnt a few things! I've got plans for those flat circles.. :)

      Delete
  4. The cupcake looks good enough to eat !!!

    I love the little birds - especially the green one on the nest. So cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's my daughter's favourite too :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks R, I'll have to make you a cupcake - they're quick to do compared to the piece of cake, and seem to be a bit more sturdy!

      Delete
  6. those birds are fab! the cupcake is a lovely idea ...bit hungry now though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your creativity - that cup cake box is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're sweet! Feel your pain about crocheting circles - took me ages to get right as well (and a lot of swearing!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so lovely! The little raspberry on the cup cake is very sweet :) I would have loved some crochet hats for my Sylvanian Family when I was little ;) Your blog is great, I'm now your newest follower x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elisabeth, that's very lovely of you! x

      Delete