Wednesday, 17 April 2013

The Gallery - Youth


Apologies if you've seen this picture before, but apart from digging out a photo of me with big 80's hair, I couldn't think of a better one for 'Youth'.
I took it when we were on holiday in France last summer: we spent a lot of time at this lake, and the floating pontoon/platform was always heaving with teenagers and hormones.  Great fun watching from the shade of a pine tree.

Just look at them: not a care in the world - girls packed together on one side, boys on the other; checking each other out and majorly showing off.  I know it won't be all that long before ours reach the pontoon stage, but for now it's still a mad, alien world.

'Why is that boy throwing a girl in the water mummy?'

'..well.. it's probably because he really likes her.'

'That is so STUPID!'

One day it will all make sense.

And though there's a great deal that's different from my day, and most of these teens probably have their own phones and zillions of Facebook friends; this photo could have been taken way back then. In the mists of time.
Crushes, spots, teenage angst, awkwardness and desperately, desperately wanting to be older..
Some things never change.


Linking up with The Gallery
The theme this week is Youth

21 comments:

  1. My eldest has just reached the point where he could be standing on this pontoon. How can that happen? I feel like I've only just left it myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's gone so fast! Little reminder of how fast the other day, when I was invited to a school friend's son's 21st!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this photo - enjoyed seeing it again, with the reminder that we have pontoons to come, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't imagine my eldest being bothered, but in a few years time it'll be a different story!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post and picture. Youth in a nutshell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a brilliant picture and love the way the boy is caught in action! My eldest is heading for that stage now. I'm not sure I'm ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this photo, it's brilliant! As that old saying goes, youth is wasted on the young... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes...always in such a hurry to grow up, and we know this because we've all done it!

      Delete
  6. Perfectly put! And a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this pic. Your post reminded me of the boys at my school. You knew they liked you if they got in a (gentle) headlock. Ah the romance of it all back then!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes! The gentle headlock! Also remember the affectionate rugby tackle... They really did know how to show a girl a good time!!

      Delete
  8. Love it. And mine are *almost* at this stage-eek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eek indeed! What I want to know is, is it going to be gradual or happen overnight??!

      Delete
  9. I love your kids comment! it is stupid, but that's youth for you :-) Cracking photo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that's a perfect photo to sum up the carefree joys of youth!

    ReplyDelete