Thursday, 11 April 2013

Not quite a piece of cake

This is a busy birthday time for me - all three of my sisters have theirs within the space of a few weeks, and lots of my friends have birthdays around now. I mean a lot. An uncanny amount. Friends from way back and ones I've met more recently - most of them April/May. I'm not into horoscopes and all the compatibility stuff, but it does make me wonder sometimes...
Something in it, or just a crazy coincidence?

Anyway we're going to a birthday party at the weekend - a great friend I've known since school, and I wanted to make her a little present.  The little present turned out to be a knitted cake shaped box. I'm not exactly sure why, but I have made some cakey looking lavender bags before.

Lavender cake
Think I'll be sticking to the lavender bags, because the box was tricky. I didn't take any photos during the making because I wasn't convinced it was going to work. Still not completely convinced it did, but the crocheted flowers give it a lift!

knitted cake box

I knitted the base with thick wool on thin needles to make it as stiff as possible, and my fingers really ache today, but it just about worked - sturdy-ish with a lid that sort of fits!


Hope she likes it.

16 comments:

  1. I'm sure she'll love it after so much thought and effort went into making it. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona - not as easy to make as I imagined! This seems to happen a lot!

      Delete
  2. I am in total awe of anyone who can make something from their own fair hands.....it looks fab to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very lovely of you! Thanks Suzanne :)

      Delete
  3. That is so lovely, as is the little mouse hiding inside! You clever thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really pleased you like them. I've got a little cupcake idea - just need to get the hang of crocheting circles! :)

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely present - once again - you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's SO cute! - she'll love it. You could put some jewellery in it? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great idea Abby - I made some shell button bracelets with my daughter (her goddaughter) so think I'll put one in the cake, and maybe a small owl? :) x

      Delete
  6. It looks good enough to eat! Perfect for the little mouse to hide in too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's too sweet! Total respect to anyone who has the talent and patience to make such things x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) wish I had as much patience for other stuff! x

      Delete
  8. I too was amazed by the number of April/May birthdays among friends, and my husband and his siblings were all born in the first week of April (in different years, of course). Then I learnt that my in-laws regularly used to take their summer holiday 9 months earlier in the Isle of Wight - I wonder it that's just a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense! Thinking about it, we always used to have a family holiday in early August.. as many people do - so a higher %age of spring babies? which makes having a higher proportion of friends with april/may birthdays more likely? Though even taking this into account I think I've a mad number of friends with birthdays around now!

      Delete