Monday, 22 April 2013

MORE inedible cake

I've got woolly cake on my mind. I should be thinking about other things, I know - but keep drifting back to crocheted cupcake boxes and ideas for other baked knits.  This happens a lot. I take a notion and then get carried away (remember the owls??)
My eldest asked me yesterday if I could make some real cake.

When I've finished the swiss roll pencil case, I said...


It was good practice for crocheted flat circles, now I've got the hang of them. The jam is a swirl of chain stitches, and the middle bit is just a knitted rectangle. I only had a small zip, so it doesn't go all the way along - still, enough room for pencils and pens.

My original plan was to sew this crocheted strawberry onto the zip pull, but it looked a bit odd, so went for a crocheted flower instead.



And because the colour of the yarn used for the last cupcake box reminded me of carrot cake, I made this one with some seriously fluorescent orange wool.


Time I think for a cake break...unless anyone has any other sweet ideas?..

Linking up with Handmade Monday 

16 comments:

  1. Wow your swiss roll pencil case is amazing. The only problem with this type of crochet is it will make you hungry. Thanks for sharing.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. far too tempting isn't it! Thanks Ali x

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are beautiful! I love the carrot cupcake in particular- so sweet!
    I can see how that would get addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starving just thinking about cake, edible or not! Great pencil case x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you only have yourself to blame for the request for cakes! Shouldn't have made them so life like and then maybe they would have passed by unnoticed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet you can never have too many of these cakes they won't make you fat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing what can be made from wool. Your cupcake is fab

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous. I could actually do with some inedible cake here tbh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little carrot cake. Oh no ... you have made me feel hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, ha - I have a vision of you sitting there, knitting and crocheting, surrounded by woolly cakes - with your children clamouring for real food! Love the carrot cake. Choc swiss roll? Battenburg cake? (tee hee!) Abby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that isn't far off the truth Abby! Funny enough I did think a little Battenburg purse might be quite nice??.. x

      Delete
  10. So clever! Love the teeny tiny strawberry, and the carrot cake looks good enough to eat! How about a Danish pastry?!?! Or some Black Forest Gateau??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! A swirly Danish pastry would look the business! :)

      Delete
  11. I love the carrot cupcake which, for me, is typically British! What about adding cupcakes representing other countries? Black Forest as Emma suggested, maybe Baba au Rhum or Religieuse for France? Etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that sounds like a fun project! :)

      Delete