Sunday, 7 April 2013

Break away

We're just home after a lovely week away in France. It did us all the power of good having a proper break from the routine; the rushing; and a sort of break from the weird weather. Not that it was warm, but at least no frost or snow, though looks promising here since we got back.
No telly or internet either for a week which was no bad thing, but when you can't go online it makes you realise how much it's woven into everyday life. I've become such a checker. I never used to be but I am now. If I'm at home it defines my day - morning, lunchtime, when the kids are in bed - I can't just not look at my laptop; anyway it only takes a few minutes to check emails, blogs, comments, eBay, stuff...but it never takes just a few minutes does it. What did I used to do with that time? Do you think that? Anyway it's good to have a break, to have no choice, to remind myself I don't need to endlessly check. Very sensible. Probably won't make the slightest bit of difference.

So it really was full on family time: a break from being apart - no distractions, space to talk and listen, and to think what might be next for all of us. To do a bit of future planning, a bit of dreaming.
A change of scene can make big decisions easier somehow - whether they stick, now we're back, is another thing.

We arrived in France the day before Easter, and luckily the Easter bunny made it too...just! One dodgy moment when our chocolate-laden case exceeded the Ryanair weight allowance limit and nearly cost us an extra £60. Somehow we managed to split it all up among the hand luggage without having to dump any, or the youngest getting suspicious.

And she was pretty pleased with her haul after the Easter treasure hunt..


but what to choose? A little strawberry fondant filled egg?..


looks good..

or maybe not..


Apart from overdosing on chocolate and cheese, I knitted and crocheted like a dervish and walked every day. As I walked I made the usually holiday inspired resolutions to lose a stone, exercise more, improve my french and find a job. And maybe, just maybe there's a chance of things a changin'...
While we were away I recorded enough material to put together a short radio piece, and hopefully that's what I'll be doing this week, though the kids are still off and the husband's back to weekly commuting, so we'll see.
I'll let you know, and try to work out how to post audio if anyone's interested. Could take me a while!

10 comments:

  1. Any break from routine is bound to be beneficial. I'm glad to hear that your filled the gaps left by internet fixes, with crocheting and knitting and hope to see the results on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're both projects I've been working on for ages, so would dearly like to finish them soon! Especially the jumper - won't fit the 8 year old if I don't hurry up!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great break. Hope you stick to all your resolutions, and good luck with the radio piece. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R, confidence waning on all fronts now holiday glow is fading! Need to get started and see how it goes xx

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a good break - sounds very restorative! We're going to Soller in Majorca the week after next - can't wait! Look forward to hearing more about the radio piece. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely Abby! Just sounds warm and sunny! Great to get away for a bit, especially from the cold.
      Hope I'll make some progress with the audio this week x

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good week was had by all. I know what you mean about the internet being a time drain - I often wonder what I actually did with my time before the internet was invented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weird, isn't it? Must have been doing something that's not happening now - pretty sure the house would be cleaner!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful week... I am looking forward to hearing all about the possible big decisions!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - hope it all won't lose momentum now we're back!

      Delete