Monday, 29 April 2013

A little bit of a boar...

I found this tiny fellow, looking lonesome on a charity shop shelf.


I've been sort of trying to stop bringing home secondhand stuff I don't need, but it was only 50p, and surely everyone should have an animal-shaped toothpick holder? At least, I think that's what it is..?
Toothpicks are something I'd tend to associate with restaurants - at home they're cocktail sticks, kept for birthday parties, and if anything is going to fall out of the cupboard, it'll be the cocktail sticks.
Yet it would seem they can stir up pretty strong emotions: there was a story in the papers recently about toothpicks being banned from a hotel on health and safety grounds - apparently concerns customers could dislodge fillings - but it caused such a kerfuffle they were soon back on the tables.
How batty is that?

Anyway, back to my little boar - it's now on our kitchen table keeping the Swedish snack squirrel company, because I knew if it went into the things-I'm-not-quite-sure-what-to-do-with cupboard, it would never come out again.


And of course the sticks have been used for everything but picking teeth: they've been made into interesting patterns, scattered on the floor, reset an MP3 player, stuck into fruit, plasticine, a brother... and basically become a bit of a distraction at mealtimes.

So the picks have gone for now...but the boar stays.


Linking up with Liz's Magpie Monday

17 comments:

  1. He looks lovely filled with cowslips and primula's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Fiona :) perfect size for a little posy!

      Delete
  2. Haha what a great post!!

    I think leaving toothpicks on our table would be asking for trouble too.

    Carry on at this rate and you can have a whole woodland animal themed party. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right! Brilliant! Something else to look out for! :) x

      Delete
  3. Great for little people flowers offerings! It looks very sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's just the thing, being so small, because the flowers my kids pick usually have next to no stems!

      Delete
  4. My fave Magpie Monday post this week because your house sounds a little like mine and we share some tastes clearly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I love your boar! He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, he is cute! He looks as if he's trying to smell the flowerts in his back! Since we moved here a few years ago, I've been fairly ruthless about not collecting unnecessary stuff, but it still seems to creep in......That's where my unit in the shop is handy - I can enjoy something for a while at home, then (hopefully!) move it on. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't really think I'll ever stop gathering unnecessary stuff! Must be great having the unit, but quite sure I'd be useless at letting things go! x

      Delete
  7. I think it looks so sweet with fowers in =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see that Pink's bunches of daisies would look good in your boar! This made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He looks perfect with those beautiful flowers. He needed to come home with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that one of the sticks had been stuck into a brother. And I have the squirrel dish as well. He comes out at Christmas and is filled with nuts while the tail is there for empty nut shells and the crackers :) Ling Ling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the squirrel dish and perfect idea keeping the tail free for nut shells. Ours stays on the table and is attracting useless little bits and bobs that don't have a home!

      Delete