Monday, 18 March 2013

Jumble Bunny

I went to my first ever full on, crazy Jumble Sale at the weekend. I've been meaning to go for ages, but the closest one is always at lunchtime on a saturday, when I'm ferrying kids from matches or to parties. It never worked out before.

I arrived just as the end of a queue was disappearing into the church hall, and parked beside a bored looking man, listening to the radio is his car. Paid my 20p and entered the fray. The hall was heaving: swarms of bargain hunters around every table. It took me 5 minutes to get anywhere near the stuff. Soon realised being really polite was a complete waste of time, so elbowed my way into a slither of space. There were people literally disappearing under piles of jumble in a buying frenzy. Some were throwing clothes/toys/shoes at helpers standing behind, who looked like they'd rather be anywhere else. Started to understand why the guy was in the car.

Easy though to get swept up by it all: I began grabbing anything that looked like it had potential, and worked my way around the room. When the tables ran out, I asked how much for my bundle, '£2 to you', the smiley lady said. Boy, I had no clear idea what I'd got, but £2 sounded brilliant!
And then suddenly I was out in the car park again. Just like that. It was all over so quickly. But what had I bought? Well luckily it wasn't half bad..


A very nice petrol blue Warehouse tunic top - too crinkly at the moment for a decent picture; and a sweet pair of Mini Boden cotton pjs with little embroidered buds. My daughter's size too.


More material to add to a growing fabric mountain - soon to rival my huge hoard of wool.


This one's actually a skirt but I bought it for the patterned cord. Love a bit of cord. I'm gathering up pieces for a little idea I've got in mind.


Didn't spot any jumpers suitable for chopping, but did find this woolly scarf,


and guess what?

Yep. I made another owl. I'm a woman obsessed. Quite sure people are fed up seeing owls on my blog, so thought I'd also have a go at.....a jumble bunny!


...basically an upside down owl with ears...



Linking up with Liz's Magpie Monday and
Ta-dah! Tuesday over at Lakota's

19 comments:

  1. No doubt you are a JS convert now, I know I am, just wish there were a few more around. You scored some great bargains and I love your brilliant scarf makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Fiona! There don't seem to be many about anymore which is a shame. This one crops up every few months and I will be back! More prepared next time, now I know the score!

      Delete
  2. Aw - the little bunny is so cute!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you like him! Thanks Liz :)

      Delete
  3. Ooooh jumble bunny is so adorable! The pattern on the cord is lush, cant wait to find out what you're plotting there.

    Did you read my post a few weeks back on jumbles?

    I LOVE a good jumble me, but they can be a bit terrifying. You did great! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are something else - totally manic! Think I just stood and stared for the first minute. But can't wait to go again! Missed your jumbles post, will go find it now x

      Delete
  4. Some great finds there, I've also been to a jumble sale this week and you're right they are MANIC! I hate being rude and pushing past people but I'm getting better at it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. know what you mean, you really need to get stuck in before the best stuff disappears! Think I probably missed a lot good jumble this time, but happy with what I found x

      Delete
  5. Oooh, love a good jumble sale! There used to be loads years ago. Maybe people do car boots / sell on eBay now instead. Love the upside down owl ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) wondering what else I can do with the owl shape!
      Pity there aren't many jumbles about these days, so different from any other secondhand buying experience! x

      Delete
  6. I'm a jumble saling maniac! I love em! I'm also loving your jumble bunny and owl. So darn cute. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thought you might love jumblies Loo! Spotted someone with a vintage flowery sheet tucked under their arm and had an envy moment.. Will hit the ground running next time! :) xx

      Delete
  7. The bunny and owl are wonderful. You are very resourceful. I'm glad I'm not the only one who raids jumble stalls for fabric. We have a monthly 'car boot' here in Lanzarote in aid of the animal charities and I'm often amazed at what can be found. The patchwork owl cushion I made in February had a tiny ditsy print from a cotton blouse. Of course we save the buttons and buckles too! I must look out for some of those daisies you use for eyes - fab idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! The daisies are definitely a quick and easy solution. My daughter found them in a bag of ribbon just as I was thinking about eyes, and I'm so glad she did! Much better than cutting out felt circles.
      I've plenty of secondhand fabric now, but need to work on my sewing machine skills - more comfortable hand sewing really, or knitting/crocheting. Keeping my projects small - mostly toys!
      Loved your patchwork owl cushion x

      Delete
  8. Hello, saw your bunny on ta-dah tuesday and had to come and have a look, he's so cute...I love your owl too, I would never had thought to do the eyes like that, they're really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for popping by Sooz! So glad you like the toys - the daisy eyes made the owl really quick to do. Great when you find something that works, and saves time!

      Delete
  9. Awww, jumble bunny is the absolute cutest! Hopefully he will bring you luck and sharp elbows in future visits! Another fan of the owl's eyes here as well.

    And great haul too, even just the PJs would have been a bargain at that price.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sharp elbows, that's about right!! Thanks Lakota x

      Delete
  10. What a cute jumble bunny! Looks like you got loads of bargains - the corduroy material is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete