...seen through a slightly smudged, secondhand pair of rose-tinted glasses

Monday, 25 March 2013

Good things in small packages

Never thought I'd end up doing housework to keep warm, but sitting still for any stretch of time is no fun at the moment. Just too cold here. So I've charged around with the hoover, done some manic sweeping, some extremely fast wiping and got the iron out - very rare indeed for me. The ironing bit wasn't strictly on my to do list, but was extra quick, because I was ironing tiny things: a small bundle of vintage dolls clothes I spied tucked away in a little bag on the toy shelf in our local Oxfam shop. Only £1.50. This is the sort of thing I love to find; the sort of thing I'll always pretend to buy for the kids. I know the clothes would have come home with me even if I didn't have a daughter. And they're all so beautifully made.
I wouldn't mind a cardy and hat like this, especially now! Isn't it lovely with the fairisle and the little pompom zip? A few moth holes to deal with, but luckily none too hard to fix.


There's also a rather fetching red felt coat


A pretty pale green dress and bonnet - demonstrating my rubbish ironing..


and a lovely nightie with matching dressing gown. This was the outfit of choice for 'big baby' when my 5 year old got back from school.



I added my own little jumper creation to the clothes bundle - made from the bottom ends of last week's Jumble Sale scarf.


Thankfully very quick to do, just a few seams, so no hanging about. And apart from skidding up and down the lane on the school run, this was the only other time I ventured outside today...
The shortest photo shoot ever.

jumble bunny model's own

Linking up with Liz's Magpie Monday

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, so pleased when I found them!

      Delete
  2. Now that's what I call a bargain; only £1.50 for clothes which have been lovingly hand-knitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a lot of work and attention to detail - the fairisle pattern is perfect! Looks great on the Sashas :)

      Delete
  3. What lovely finds, I bet big baby has never been so well dressed for bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. poor big baby usually has nothing on! Thanks Fiona x

      Delete
  4. I totally would have bought those dolls clothes, and I don't have any children! (I do still have my dolls though! Janet and Sarah Jane would look lovely in those!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the sasha in the last pic is one of my old dolls, could never part with them either!

      Delete
  5. Lovely little outfits! I love the dress and hat, in spite of your rubbish ironing, ha, ha - I hate ironing! Hope it warms up soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really hope so!
      I hardly ever iron if I can help it - it usually stays in the cupboard until my husband's home. He's an ironing ninja - probably all that army training! x

      Delete
  6. I love the blue babygro - these all remind me of the 70s knitting patterns my mum produced when i announced I was pregnant for the first time - I had to make her promise never to knit my child a pair of dungarees... I think they would have been oK for a doll though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. quite like the sound of knitted dungarees! I'd love to see some of the things your mum's made. Bet they're gorgeous. Keep thinking about the Tintin/captain Haddock jumper she knitted for Blue - still haven't finished mine!

    ReplyDelete