Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Comic Relief, Carrots and Cake



'DAY 5 in the Comic Relief Charity Challenge house, and the housemates are getting restless...'


not really a massive surprise considering there's very little food left from my £12 shop. Just two more days to go now.
And in case you're wondering, £12 is all I've spent to feed the four of us for 7 days! Definitely a challenge. Possibly mad. Still, it's for a very good cause, as the rest of the money I'd normally spend on my weekly groceries is going to Comic Relief.

It's certainly keeping me on my toes and I'm baking like a dervish, trying to stay a step ahead. The kids are doing pretty well; they haven't gone hungry, but inevitably the lack of choice and empty fridge takes it's toll, and there's a rising wave of whinging! I'm doing my best to gee them along, and I've heard the older two talking to their friends about the Challenge and why we're doing it, which is encouraging. It's great they feel involved.

Now who'd have ever thought you could get bored of muffins? But I know the kids are tiring of them, and fair play really as muffins have been the only sweet treat on offer for the last 5 days. My supplies are limited: I haven't any butter and just enough marg left for sandwiches - the only thing I can use is vegetable oil. So my cunning plan was to make muffins that look like CAKE...and seeing as The Gallery theme this week is the letter 'C'.... I give you Comic Relief Charity Challenge Carrot Muffins Cake!


I just poured the carrot muffin mixture into a cake tin - and the shape change plus the absence of muffin cases seems to have done the trick! They loved them. Should get us through to friday. I'm sure the topping helped too, but only enough cream cheese spare for these three, and HUGE disappointment when they realised the carrot was made of plasticine..

There's more about our Comic Relief Charity Challenge here

and The Gallery theme this week is the letter 'C'

37 comments:

  1. I love that you made the carrot out of plasticine! You are doing really well And have inspired me to get baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing really well, girl. Those carrot muffin cakes look yum. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they look lovely. I thought those carrots were made from icing LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The carrot cake looks very tasty! I hope they realised the carrot was made of plasticene before they tried to eat it! You're doing really well! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course it was the first thing they wanted to try! x

      Delete
  5. they look lush! well done on shopping for 4 for £12?? how did you manage that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with a lot of careful planning!! There's a link to my shopping list above, at the end of the post :)

      Delete
  6. fantastic post, just off to read about your challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done you, £12??? that must be really hard. Cake looks yummy btw :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) it's been interesting!! Nearly there now..

      Delete
  8. Yummmm I love carrot cake!!
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?? £12? How on earth did you do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bread I think, lots of homemade bread! I do like a challenge!

      Delete
  9. The intro made me laugh... Those carrot cakes look good! Good luck, I have every faith in you, if you can't do it, there's no chance for anyone else!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and a bit like the Mr Twit Beard, the plasticine carrot made me laugh! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great to hear that! Kicking myself I didn't make a plasticine red nose!

      Delete
  11. Wow, I love it! I've seen so many cake posts but this is by far the best - can't believe you are living on £12 this week - good on you - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's really lovely of you, thank you :)

      Delete
  12. These look delicious, well done on your budgeting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant idea to bake the muffin mixture into a cake tin - I find that psychological warfare is often the key to feeding children, and this is master tactic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks R, so true isn't it! The muffin cake did work well, though think I could have cooked it a little longer - possibly a bit too gooey, not that that put anyone off!

      Delete
  14. What a brilliant idea!

    (and an epic cause too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks!! It is a great cause - definitely spurred me on!

      Delete
  15. This is incredible!!!! Just brilliant.

    if you want to sign up to the Team Honk page on Red Nose Day then please do! We would love to see your savings form part of the over all amount Team Honk has raised. And have you as part of Team Honk. Some of us are off to the BBC tomorrow and if we get to be on camera we can give you and your fabulous fund raising family a wave!

    The link is here: https://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/teamhonk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks! I'll pop over now.

      Delete
    2. fantastic!! Where are you on Twitter so we can shout about you as our newest team member?

      Delete
    3. so sorry - not on twitter! Just doing the sponsor page now, let me know if it's not quite right!!

      Delete
  16. wow well done you. This is a great idea. £12 for a whole week, don't know how you've managed it. The carrot cakes look yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an inspirational post! Funnily my c was carrot cake too.

    ReplyDelete