Friday, 22 February 2013

Warning: this post contains snotty language

How do you get a child to blow their nose properly? Any tips? Please? I'm fed up with snot. We're having a half-term plagued with coughs, colds and horrible lurgies. It's not been a lot of fun. The kids are flopping about, constantly sniffing or wiping, though rarely on tissues. The stream of runny stuff they can't sniff up, usually gets wiped on a sleeve or maybe the sofa - or the very sneaky hug and wipe. You know the one I mean?  But they seem to spend most of their time snorting and sniffing all the gunk back up their noses. Where do they think it's going to go? And it's not as if any of mine are too young to learn how to do it properly. In fact the eldest is the worst of the bunch - he really struggles to blow out through his nose and uses his WHOLE ARM to wipe, in one long upward motion.

We have tried, obviously quite unsuccessfully, to teach them. I know some kids get it very quickly but none of our three have found it easy. I've looked for helpful hints online. We've tried something rather disturbingly called the reverse piggy noise - where you snort up twice like a pig then immediately snort/blow out. That didn't work, Then there's making little balls out of tissue paper or tin foil and moving them along just by blowing through your nose. Though definitely not one to try during a cold. Maybe we should give this another go when they're better, and make it into a game of (nose) blow football. That might get the 10 year old interested.

And talking of the 10 year old, his upward arm wipe is the reason he now has a nasty eye infection. When his dad took him to the surgery to get some drops, the doctor advised him to wipe across his nose rather than up...with his sleeve. Seriously? With his sleeve? Not the pearls wisdom I was expecting. But the more I think about it, the more I get what he means; he's just being realistic. If you can't stop them doing the wrong thing, then you might as well get them to do the wrong thing right..
Yuck

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh yes... us too. One of my seven-year-olds can do it (but still doesn't unless prompted), the other still can't/won't.
    But then I remember when I was a kid my mum being so exasperated with me for the same reason - for years!
    So, no tips from me, I'm afraid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I was that great at it either! Thing is I should be getting them to practice blowing out through their nose when they're not snotty, but just forget...until they're really snotty again... It's been so bad this time I'm going to try harder!

      Delete
  2. Pooor you... Half term lurgies, not fun! I usually find telling my children the opposite of what I want them to do has the desired effect!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..think we might be turning a corner, just in time for school!

      Delete
  3. Horrid - snot is my least favourite bodily fluid. If you asked my son what is the thing I nag him about most, it's 'have you got a tissue in your pocket?' !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is grim. Just a shame the tissues that end up in my son's pocket don't often go anywhere near his nose! Usually find them, unused, when I'm doing the laundry....or worse, AFTER I've done it.. :(

      Delete
  4. Sorry, but I had to smile when I read this. I can't offer any advice I'm afraid - I've failed to teach either of mine to blow their noses properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries R, I know I've got to make the time to sort it out - and glad I'm not the only rubbish teacher! Anyway, having a good old moan about it has made me feel much better! :)

      Delete