Saturday, 16 February 2013

The occasionally reluctant gardener

I'd been putting off my first proper garden recce. It's a sort of out of sight, out of mind thing.
As much as I love being knee deep in weeds and hacking back hedges, I also quite like tucking the tools away in the shed around November time and having a break. I completely switch out of gardening; don't even look for a few months. Trouble is it can be hard to get going again.

That seems to be were I am at the moment, not exactly bursting with green fingered enthusiasm, but give me a few bright, dry days outside, and I'll creak into gardening gear.

And I've made a start. The weather's definitely picked up - no more excuses - so out we went first thing, me and my keen little garden helper.


As expected there's masses to do - jobs everywhere we looked. All the flowerbeds are choked with layers of dead stems and leaves; but peeping out, some hopeful little signs of what's to come - dainty snowdrops, pink hellebores and bright, sunny aconite.





My daughter genuinely seems to enjoy gardening. The boys will hang about for a few minutes, feigning interest, before slinking off when they know I'm distracted; but their sister doesn't get bored so quickly - she's inquisitive and keen to learn. I hope that stays with her.
I didn't get the gardening bug until we moved here, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the things that kept me sane when the kids were tiny and my husband was away. We'd just moved, I was tied to the house, knew absolutely no one, and being outside seemed to help when things got on top of me. Even 10 minutes in the garden could make a difference.
It helped last year too.

There are certain jobs my daughter always associates with gardening. She has her own small flowerbed that she makes a beeline for, and is an obsessive waterer, regardless of the weather or how sodden the earth is. She is also a top weeder: we've had a few accidents - uprooted geraniums and daisies, but on the whole she's now quite good at knowing which ones to pull out and likes weeding between the cracks of the paving stones. Very useful little helper!


But the other great pleasure of being in the garden with her is she notices things I miss, because I tend to get bogged down with the more mundane stuff when I'm out on my own. It's a time to explore and appreciate the garden, without thinking about the next bed to be cleared or the next barrow-load of weeding. We often have a quick nature hunt, gathering up bits and pieces lying about - and I can't remember how this started, but all the finds usually end up being made into imaginative little 'nests'.



I come across them sometimes in various random places around the garden - they remind me to stop clearing/cutting/planting for a moment, and to just enjoy being out there.



Linking up with Counry Kids from Coombe Mill

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous post, you are lucky to have a little helper! Our garden is still under a thick layer of snow and I am dreading the state of it when it all melts away! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it's not too bad, though I'm saying that knowing what the first clear up of the year is usually like!
      Enjoy the rest of your gardening break! :)

      Delete
  2. I am so with you about the Winter break from the garden. I have started myself with small goals this half term break- I am doing an hour a day of clearing and then I stop. I am looking forward to a little more warmth and sunshine before I make my "proper" start. Your little one looks like a great help- my teens hate helping in the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sticking to an hour is such a good idea - I often try to do too much and then can't face going out again. I've been clearing this morning and it did feel lovely out there now it's a bit warmer. Looking out the window I can see all the stuff I've cut back, scattered on the ground beside the beds, but think I'll leave that tidy up job for tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. I have spent years trying to like gardening, but sadly have failed. I am entirely without a green bone in my body! The only thing I like about the garden these days is sitting in it with a good book and a large glass of wine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone! My youngest sister thought she'd get into gardening, but it didn't happen. She'd much rather do something else. I knew nothing about gardening when we got here, but it quickly got under my skin - a good job as it turns out because we've a fair amount of garden! A little more sitting outside while reading and drinking would be good though, problem is I always spot something that needs doing!

      Delete
  4. A lovely post and what a delight to have a little helper who stays with you! We have just started to clear the greenhouse, what a job that is as we let it run away in the summer!I look forward to more garden fun as the year progresses. thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It is great that she's keen, she was out with me again today - long may it last!

      Delete
  5. I think it's time for us to go out into the garden and start exploring what's there this year. Beautiful pictures of a simple pleasure.

    Nipping over from Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the little 'nests' are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete