Wednesday, 23 January 2013

The Photo Gallery - Adventure



This is me, many moons ago, on a trek down into a volcanic crater in Ecuador. I can't quite remember how I ended up on the donkey; though do remember thinking it would have been safer to walk. And fairer on the donkey.
That whole South American trip was an incredible adventure - there was a certain amount of planning, but mostly it was seat of my pants stuff - a feeling of freedom; of never really knowing what the next day might hold. And my best adventures have always been on the less organised trips, the 'let's just see what happens' ones. Like the time a tip from a fellow traveller took us down a magical river in a canoe to the sea.
I really want the kids to have these kind of experiences, but thinking about it also makes me horribly anxious... I know I'll probably worry non-stop if they ever go travelling. Just as I know they'll have no clue how much I'll worry. Sure, thoughts of what was going on at home couldn't have been from my mind as I trundled down that steep, stoney path on the back of a donkey.

Linking up with The Photo Gallery - the theme this week is Adventure

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic picture, I bet Ecuador is fascinating! Well at least we can console ourselves now with the fact that if our children do go travelling, they are will probably never be out of contact thanks to modern media. In the days before mobile phones I often went for days without calling home when we were travelling! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same! It is so much easier to stay in touch now, though mobiles/internet also increase the expectation of regular contact...mmm...could be something else to worry about! Or maybe I could just go with them?? :D

      Delete
  2. South America sounds amazing!! Especially a volcanic crater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really was - lots of great memories. And the whole trip was pretty unplanned/last minute for me - a friend just happened to be going and wanted company, I had an unexpected break from work and no other ties. So an adventure right from the start!

      Delete
  3. It's not until we become adults, that we realise how much our parents must have worried about us on these kind of 'adventures'! Looks like great fun though - trip of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!
      It was a special trip. I kept a diary during my travels, but sadly can't find it! :(

      Delete
  4. What a brilliant picture! I am terrified of the thought of my kids going travelling. My brother went away for a year, I wonder how my mum and dad felt? I know how I would feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too - a year is ages - plenty of time for adventures...and worry!

      Delete
  5. Difficult to let go in that way isn't it? But agree we need to have these type of adventures, get out of our comfort zone and experience another culture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely - and no matter how I feel, I'll do my best to encourage them to Get Out There. Maybe not for a whole year though!

      Delete
  6. Now that's an adventure! What a incredible opportunity and so glamorous haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) The 'cagoule over daysack' look is particularly stylish don't you think!

      Delete
  7. I am loving your smile in this photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Claire - I remember laughing a fair bit on that donkey ride! Happy memories :)

      Delete