Thursday, 3 January 2013

New Year, New Name

'Tis me! Single Married Mum, morphed into A Patchwork Life...more on that in a mo, but first I really hope you've had a lovely Christmas break. Ours was close to being a cracker - the whistle-stop tour of family in Northern Ireland was fast enough to avoid any major drama, and the rest has been relatively quiet. A good job as it happens, because on Christmas morning I woke up coughing, sneezing and generally feeling rubbish. Truthfully it wasn't quite as bad as I made out, and didn't spoil things too much, just slowed everything down. It might have been a struggle if we'd had more on. The low point was driving 12 miles to the supermarket before realising I hadn't brought my bag...not a happy moment. Very hard to think straight with a fuggy head. That's my excuse.

But I have been thinking about a blog name change -  it is rather overdue now. To be honest, it's not been as easy as I thought it would be. A tendency to flit about, means I'm often rudderless and niche-less - so it had to be something general. A Patchwork Life just feels right. Sure don't we all have patchwork lives? Lots of different things going on that we do our best to stitch and hold together. Sometimes the sewing's pretty neat, other times it's all over the place, but that's ok as long as it doesn't unravel...
And away from the analogies, I love a bit of craft and am partial to a patchwork - so that fits too.

My URL address has always been Patchworkparent, because I couldn't use Single Married Mum, seeing as someone else got there first. I picked patchwork parent because at that stage I was fairly focussed on crocheting a granny square blanket while he was away. I failed (one thing I'm determined to finish this year!) but the patchwork seed was planted. Like I said, it feels right.

There will still be a decent dose of SMM, because next month my husband starts his new job and we'll be back to weekly commuting. It's not ideal, but we've done it before and nothing is going to be as bad as 2012.

So New Year, New Name - I haven't made any hard and fast resolutions, mine tend to fizzle out, so I'd rather not set myself up for a self-inflicted guilt trip. But I do feel hopeful at this time of year - the way I feel at the beginning of the week (x52) when I'm still confident I'm going to get loads done in the days ahead, and possibly even get to the bottom of my list? This hasn't happened yet. You never know though (...where the rose tinted specs come in handy) But I do want to push the boundaries a bit in 2013, and push out of my comfort zone. Thanks to this blog, that doesn't seem as daunting as it did a year ago.

6 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Great name - I wondered if you might come out with something like that. So gladyou are still going to blog :-). I remember the first time I drove me and the boy to a supermarket on our own - I was a little (well, a lot) post-natal and hadn't been able to drive after the C-Section so all in all it was a bit daunting, and I got to Tescos a similar distance from home and realised I had forgotten my purse - I sat and sobbed in the car park. hope the flu has gone now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a misery, forgetting the one thing you need, especially when actually getting there was a struggle in itself! I'm a lot better now thanks, and extremely glad you like the name :) Didn't think it would take so long. Not as straightforward as I thought! xx

      Delete
  2. I think it works perfectly! Wishing you all a very happy 2013, and hope you are bug free now! Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma :) All bugs gone.....until school next week! xx

      Delete
  3. Hi just came via photo of the week, think I will stay and follow you, you look like my type of patchwork lady! x

    ReplyDelete