Monday, 28 January 2013

Crochet hooked?

It's funny how things go sometimes - a few days after wittering on about the very lovely granny square throw I found last week, I spied three vintage crocheted blankets in a local charity shop. Three-diddly-DEE!

vintage crocheted blankets
Any lingering doubts/guilt I had about buying more because I'm making my own, vanished in a heartbeat - and £30 later I left the shop with all of them.  I couldn't leave one behind. It sort of felt like a rescue mission.

Two of them are pretty big, and the colours are an odd old mix - not ones I'd ever really think about putting together, but they work for me in a bright and cheery, retro, 70's kind of way.


The pink and orange look toned down on the one below - they're both almost fluorescent, like the colours of highlighter pens. Obviously a bit too bright for my camera!


The blankets all have that musty, shut away in a cupboard/box for years smell - and they deserve to be given a new lease of life and some proper lovin'. But that mightn't be with me, because we don't have anywhere obvious to put them and they should be on show, not tucked away again.

So I'll probably clean them up and sell them on to a good home. Or maybe..keep one?

As always, linking up with Liz's brilliant Magpie Monday

16 comments:

  1. The middle one has an almost Mexican colour scheme doesn't it? I think the bottom one is my favourite (and yes you should definitely keep one!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's my favourite too, even if it is a bit blindingly bright! Do like the middle one, though not sure about the brown flecky bit x

      Delete
  2. Wow, how lucky are you! I so understand how you see it as a rescue mission! They are so gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you like them, was hoping you might :) x

      Delete
  3. How lovely My garanny used a wheel chair and had a throw like the last one over her legs to keepthem warm. Very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are gorgeous! Why do I never find things like that in charity shops? I need to look harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R - think it's got more to do with how much time I spend in charity shops..and I've had a good run recently with all the crochet finds. Not always that lucky!

      Delete
  5. I told you before I was trying to learn how to crochet? Looking at the size of these and the work that must have gone in...makes my mind boggle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lot of work, and made in one piece, so not a portable project! No tucking it away in a bag like I do with my granny squares. Cosy crocheting though!

      Delete
  6. I like them all and a bit of colour wonkiness just adds to the appeal and proves it's handcrafted! My Aunty's made a couple for the kids and they are crazy mismatched colours but I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agree about the colour combo wonkiness - it's right and kind of wonderful because it's a little bit wrong!

      Delete
  7. The bottom one could almost be missoni ;) I have recently acquired a crochet hook and with the help of YouTube I hope to be making blankets in no time (maybe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used YouTube to teach myself to crochet granny squares. I had to watch the tutorial more times than I care to admit, but got there in the end! Blanket still a long way off though...

      Delete
  8. Hi there - thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting on my crochet. These blankets are lovely - I'm always on the lookout for crochet blankets in charity shops and at boot sales, but have never found any worth bringing home yet! So I'm now making my own. I've managed to make 8 small squares in two days, so hopefully it won't take me forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 in 2 days sounds good to me - my gs production rate is a lot lower than that! Look forward to seeing yours when it's finished :)

      Delete