Monday, 17 December 2012

Something to sew on

My sewing machine has spent most of its life boxed up and tucked away in a dark cupboard corner. I liked knowing it was there, but wasn't falling over myself about actually getting it out.
I've always been more at home with a pair of knitting needles - sewing machines make me a little anxious. Well they did, and then a few months back I thought it was about time I had a proper go - so out it came, and out it stayed until I'd made a sofa colony of owls from secondhand vintage sheets and bedspreads. They winged their way down to a Christmas craft fair in London last week, and sold pretty well.

The thing is, having the sewing machine out all the time is a bit of a pain, because there's nowhere obvious for it to go, and I daren't put it back in the cupboard. Might not come out again.
It's been majorly getting in the way, so I thought a wooden trolley could be the answer - a home on wheels, and there'd be space underneath for material and other bits and bobs.

Amazingly there were FOUR old trolleys at the local auction last week. Unbelievable. This never usually happens when I'm looking for something. And it gets better, because it seems there's not much demand for trolleys - I got mine for just two pounds. So chuffed about that! It has a drawer at the front, which we eventually managed to prise open - sadly no treasure though, just some mouldy old placemats.


So giving it a revamp is one of my after christmas projects...and there's more...because this came in the same lot.

I'd no idea, until I went to collect the trolley! Not the most beautiful bedside table, but it's got potential - and two bits of furniture for two quid can't be bad. Hopefully they'll both look quite different the next time you see them.
And I've just finished my tiny £2 table makeover - a quick sand and then covered the top with some vintage domino cards I picked up at a french street sale in the summer. Far too lovely to be hidden away in a box don't you think?



Linking up with marvellous Magpie Monday 
and Lakota's Ta-dah! Tuesday

14 comments:

  1. I feel a bit like that about my sewing machine. It does get used - for curtains - but I feel like I'd use it far more if it were out more. Usually iot's in its box and gets moved around to where it's least in the way (we haven't got a cupboard big enough). Lovely owls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R. Haven't done much curtain making, but fired up with enthusiasm and the purchase of my trolley, I've just printed off instructions for making a roman blind. Could be interesting! :)

      Delete
  2. I love your trolley, I need one of those for my vintage Singer. I think I recognise one of those owls too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you do! A trolley would be perfect for your vintage Singer - definitely a machine that should be on show :)

      Delete
  3. Those owls are fantastic, and the trolley is a great find! Love what you've done to the top of the table as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, I'm really happy with the table and it's a great size. The trolley does need a bit of work plus a squirt of WD-40 - v squeaky!

      Delete
  4. What a great day at the auction! A perfect home for your machine. Your owls are very cute.
    I too was selling at a fantastic craft/flea market for three days at the weekend. Exhausting but so worth it. I'm used to reselling flea stuff, but haven't really outed my crafts very much. So satisfying to sell something you've made your self. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was such a success - not surprised though, the handmade things on your blog are always gorgeous.
      My sister sold the owls for me, she's very experienced when it comes to craft fairs. I've never had a stall myself, but think now I'd quite like to chat to people who want to buy my stuff! Can imagine it's a buzz! Maybe next year.

      Delete
  5. Love your owls and the table, shame the vintage cards were a one off as similar tables would definitely sell too. Great idea on the trolley, I'm after one to keep my booze on, in the absence of a cocktail cabinet. Your auction sounds like a fab source of bargains - obviously the thrift fairy has been looking out for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lakota - it is a fantastic old-fashioned auction and it's so close! Not even a mile away. Lethal! Lots of bargains though - especially the outside lots. Only thing is everything gets soaked when it rains. Took me a few days to dry out the trolley. Glad you like the table - I've been looking out for more domino cards. Don't think I'll find any as lovely as the vintage french ones, but have some others that might work x

      Delete
  6. The owls are adorable, especially the ones with their little hands in the air, all excited!

    I saw a great post for converting a bedside table into a doll's wardrobe. I don't know where I saw it, but if you Google it you might find it.

    Visiting from Ta Dah Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val - that's a lovely idea, I'll definitely have a search - sounds interesting. Think I might do it up for my son's room. Somewhere to put the growing piles of stuff!

      Delete
  7. Love them all and can't wait to see what you do! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Really glad you like them! Itching to get on now, but no point with the end of term looming! x

      Delete