Monday, 10 December 2012

Magpie Monday - Secondhand Central

I spotted it before I'd even got through the door of the charity shop - beautiful big blue fish on a plate, and I'm a total sucker for fish. There wasn't even a flicker of doubt. I just picked it up and headed for the till. None of the usual indecision or questioning whether I really needed it or not (the answer is pretty much always no...) The best kind of thrifty therapy, especially as it was only a pound and looks perfect on the hall table.

I bought the plate while we were in Leominster having a browse. Now I've already sung the town's praises - not just because of the bountiful supply of charity shops, but also because it's teeming with secondhand/vintage/antique stores. And if that's your thing, there is SO much to see here. It's hard to know where to start in some of them - room after room packed with china, toys, furniture, books, EVERYTHING. Many of the shops are in old buildings, full of character, with low beams and sloping, creaky wooden floors. You just never know what's around the next corner - and I tell you, when I went up some rickety ancient stairs and found a tiny room full of vintage Kitchenalia, it was like Christmas! I got so carried away I almost bought a pair of psychedelic 60's egg cosies - until my weary, hungry husband reminded me we had some, and had never ever used them. In the end I put all the stuff I'd gathered back, except for this great Pyrex-type bowl. 


I've moaned enough about my limited cupboard space, but found these in another room and just couldn't resist them - a vintage children's bowl and plate by Figgjo Flint of Norway.
I have a real soft spot for all things scandi...and possibly too many fairisle jumpers...


And there was one other bargain find during our Leominster trip - ham, egg and chips for £2.80 in a cosy cafe.
Happy husband, happy haul, HAPPY days!

Linking up with lovely Liz's Magpie Monday

Me and My Shadow

13 comments:

  1. They are beautiful finds, I especially like the children's bowl and plate. I also love the fact that things are getting back to normal for you and your husbands homecoming means he now has to endure bargain hunting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...not that I'm milking it or anything...but I do have him over a bit of a barrel don't I?! Don't think it would be top of his days-out list! x

      Delete
  2. Wow! I would have been impressed with just the lovely fish plate, but the Pyrex and the Skandi plates are amazing too. You have a really good eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a good day - and I was lucky :)

      Delete
  3. Love the pyrex and the children's plates, I would have snapped those up! Great finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I'm a sucker for anything Scandi and those children's plates are beaut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame Sarah Lund! Really got the bug during the first series of The Killing.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous finds! Love, love, love the pyrex! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Very keen on the pattern and it's a useful size too x

      Delete
  6. The fish plate is just lovely, and I like the rest of your haul too! :)

    ReplyDelete