Wednesday, 5 December 2012

I can see a rainbow

kitchen rainbow

At certain times of the day when it's sunny, and the light hits the window in a certain way, this beautiful little rainbow of colour is projected into my kitchen.  It's one of those Wonders that can lift you out of the ordinary for a moment or two....and it did the other day when I took this - well it did, until my son asked me how it happens, and all I could remember was the order of the colours (good old 'Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain') and something about refraction and bendy light...

So we looked it up.

It turns out that a ray of light does bend or change direction as it travels through the glass, separating into its seven component colours and forming a rainbow. They separate because each colour passes through the glass at a different speed.

We both learnt something.

Scrolling through, there were a few simple light refraction experiments to do with kids, and it crossed my mind that making a rainbow appear had got to be a surefire winner. How could they not be impressed?

A glass prism would be great, but if you haven't got one, put a half-full glass of water in the direct line of any sunlight, and then look around the room for a rainbow. Once you've found it, get the kids to 'catch' the rainbow on a piece of white paper so they can see the colours clearly.  Magic.


The Gallery theme this week is Colour

14 comments:

  1. That's a great photo although, the shape looked a bit rude when I first looked at it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something beautiful and educational at the same time! Great capture! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. We have a daily rainbow too but never thought to make it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either - today would have been a good day to try, but just back home and the sun has gone:(

      Delete
  4. That's fab and so nice that it just happens due to how your kitchen is designed. Plus can there be a better way for kids to learn science?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right - and when it's fun I think they get it more quickly.

      Delete
  5. It would appear I learnt something new too! What a lovely thing to appear in your home x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and really glad it was useful ! x

      Delete
  6. Oh I have one of these that happens in my hall some afternoons. Little Bee always sees it first. Never thought to photograph it, or try to make another one. Will make a bigger issue of it the next time we see it.
    x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to take a photo for ages, but they don't last long and change quickly. Hope there's another bright sunny day soon for Little Bee x

      Delete
  7. What a great post, brilliant take on the theme and a very cool pic!

    ReplyDelete