Monday, 12 November 2012

Magpie Monday - The Doors

I haven't done much thrifting recently, my head's full of homecoming stuff and getting the house ship-shape for the Big Day on sunday. I keep finding little jobs that have been overlooked for ages, ones that were on my list at the beginning of the year... funny how you get used to things being a certain way.

And then there's my hair. It's half way down my back. I hadn't really noticed because it's always up. I've not been good at looking after myself. I've let things slip these past 12 months, and it's definitely time for some emergency repairs! So a busy week ahead...

The house has probably fared better, and looking around, I'm more than a little happy with the many secondhand bits and bobs I've found this year (though do wonder whether there'd be quite so many if I hadn't discovered Magpie Monday...)  My husband's seen most of them on the blog, so no major surprises in store, and no equivalent of a vintage camper van in the garage. Like last time.

Anyway I thought as I've nothing new, I'd share my most exciting, spectacularly unexpected, best ever car boot buy...

Limed oak hand carved doors. FOUR of them! A tenner each. Couldn't believe it when I saw them propped up against a van. They looked so magnificent and completely out of place. The guy selling the doors was a builder and said the they'd come from a house he'd been working on. Luckily he also agreed to drop them off for me.

They are beautiful.

Each one is different, with intricate patterns of birds and flowers.


They've become my wardrobe doors, because unbelievably they were a perfect fit. Well three of them were. Such a result.

So now on the very rare occasion I'm wavering about going to a car boot or any secondhand sale, I think about my doors...because you just never knowdo you?

Have you got an all time favourite find, or is it too hard to choose?  Plenty of totally fabulous secondhand treasures to rummage through over at Liz's magic Magpie Monday.

Me and My Shadow

18 comments:

  1. Lovely doors! Sunday, you say? have a fabulous time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to have another doors day!! Always hopeful...

      Delete
  3. Amazing fine. Well done and hope the homecoming is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS!they are just beautiful, what a find!! It was obviously fate. What's happening on Sunday?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husband's home from Afghanistan. He's been away for a year and we're so very nearly there!!

      Delete
  5. I'm speechless.

    They are incredible. I cannot believe how lucky you are that they actually fit. They make the entire room, I just love them.

    Thanks so much for sharing. PS where's the 4th? :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make the room, it was quite plain before. Such a stroke of luck they were a perfect fit (had no idea when I bought them!) and no need to alter - would have been heartbreaking! The 4th is in the sitting room - but we built a cupboard around that one!! :)

      Delete
  6. Blimey what a fantastic find! I love real wood, they look simply beautiful - I have severe wardrobe envy now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those doors are just glorious! Enjoy your last few "getting ready" days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow those doors are amazing - like something out of a style magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - those are just stunning, that is a great find!

    ReplyDelete