Wednesday, 24 October 2012

The Gallery - Books



I like seeing the kids flick through my old Tintin books. I'd really love them to enjoy the books as much as I did, but don't make fuss or go on about it, because that's more likely to put them off.
I remember getting so frustrated as I tried with zealot-like devotion to convert my sister, completely convinced she'd love Tintin. She wasn't remotely interested. Just not her cup of tea.

And I've remained a fan of Herge's fearless reporter, despite the lack of women, questionable relationships with dictators, charges of racism, and the fact his best friend was a raging alcoholic... I'd rather think about the brilliant adventures and the fantastic cartoon drawings I spent hours trying to copy. I'd rather think of the books as I did way back then.

In the late 80's I made a jumper with Tintin and Snowy on the front and Captain Haddock on the back. It's probably the only jumper I've ever knitted for myself that I still liked by the time I'd finished. Sadly someone else liked it too, because it disappeared one term at university. Anyway, during a recent cupboard clearout I found a Tintin pattern book I must have been given about 20 years ago, so thought I'd have another try. Not for me this time though...



The Gallery theme this week is Books

19 comments:

  1. We love Tintin here. My mum's knitted Blue a Ca\ptain Haddock jumper for his next book day at school (with a detacheable anchor on the front!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! Love to know more about your mum's pattern!

      Delete
  2. Wow - I'm impressed! My big bro is a massive tintin fan so I am always on the hunt for tintin memorabilia. He returned the favour and gave DB his own little snowy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever clever photo. I love the tintin themed Belgium bar near us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I would love to be able to knit like that and that is a really clever photo. I have never been a fan of Tintin, but my son has been wanting to read some of the books recently as he saw the film and enjoyed it, so I am going to get some for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tin tin. I am slowly buying my OH the collection.
    good luck with the jumper it looks great. I had a tin tin t'shirt I wore to death in the 80s!
    From the tin tin shop in Covent Garden which I was thrilled to discover is still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy to hear that too! Think the old pattern book I'm using came from the CG Tintin shop.

      Delete
  6. Do you have a direct email address to be contacted on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, I've put it at the end of my profile.

      Delete
  7. I am so jealous of your crafty abilities Mrs, you are so clever! I was always jealous of Tintin's dog too, he's lovely! Lots of jealousy in this comment! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! To be honest I've made a few mistakes, but think he's still recognisable!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love it! Am trying to get a hold of some Tintin patterns myself... any idea where I can find the book or some free-standing knitting patterns? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shani - think ebay might be your best bet, but if you're having no luck, do get back to me and I'll see if I can help. I did eventually finish the jumper and posted a pic - in the craft category (nostalgic knits) if you'd like to have a look!

      Delete
    2. I've been through ebay with a fine tooth comb.. there's one copy there, and I'm currently the highest bidder, but am very much out of my price range and think I'm about to be outbid. :/ I'd be happy to pay you for a scan, or something of the kind... thanks for your quick reply!! Now I'm going to go look at your work. :)

      Delete
  9. Yep, outbid and I'm out. Alas.

    Please let me know if there's any way you can scan or otherwise transfer some of the patterns. I'll gladly pay for your trouble, of course. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure I can do that, wouldn't be till next week as have two birthdays to get through first! Do you want just Tintin, or Tintin and Snowy? - I've got Captain Haddock too. Let me know, my email is traceymaryradford@yahoo.co.uk

      Delete