Monday, 22 October 2012

Magpie Monday - A tin win and other stories...

I've already mentioned my fondness for rusty, old tins - so a whole box of them at the local auction got my pulse racing.
Obviously no one else's, because I won the lot for £3.


I'd only managed a quick sweep round on viewing day, so hadn't had a proper rattle/poke through the tins. One thing better than a rusty old tin? A rusty old tin with something in it. Not this time though, darn it! Someone had got to them first. Still, the tins themselves were the deal, and this is the one that caught my eye.


I'm not sure how old it is, but love the picture. It's a decent size, quite shallow and already full of buttons. Instantly assigned a job which is always good. The others are a mixed bag - a few could be useful for crafting....or could be joining the Spice Girls one in the car boot pile.
But I missed this on my very first look - a fab 1978 calender tin. Now home to a large quantity of chocolate biscuits.


The little pine table came from a charity shop in Hereford. Just £2, and a perfect size for bits and bobs and cups of tea, so hopefully an end to spills and needles left on the sofa...
I'm going to have a crack at decoupage, and wanted to start with something simple.


And I've been an old copycat again. Not pyrex this time, but a rather lovely light-up globe that I spied on Emma Kate's blog, Painted style.  Such a lift of excitement when I spotted one the same.


You know, the thrift gods must have been shining down on my that day, because I also found an Arsenal away strip that looks like new for £2, to put away for my little Gunner, AND a Golden Valley all-weather jacket, which just happens to be the team my footie mad 10 year old plays for. He says it's going to be his lucky top. Here's hoping. They lost their last match 16-0...


Found any secondhand lovelies lately? Check out Liz's Magpie Monday for plently of fab finds and thrifty inspiration

Me and My Shadow

13 comments:

  1. Oh the excitement of winning the bid on something you have earmarked....and at a rock bottom price!!! Its nearly as much fun bringing it home and rooting through the box and examining your treasure! Love it.
    Thrift Gods obviously shining your direction this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been to the auction for ages - such a buzz! Missed out on a box of china, which is probably no bad thing...though as you say, could have been worth it just for the root-through value :)

      Delete
  2. Great finds - love those tins you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the weeks where several Magpie Monday folks find similar things such as globes this week and elephants too.
    I love tins too and love the calendar one - have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely v happy to find the calendar tin in the box.

      Maybe some kind of thrifty sync-up going on with the similar things! Though in my case it's a pure case of copying :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely finds. I love tins - and globes!
    Nothing wrong with a bit of copying - especially when it comes to bargain-hunting
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to say it is lovely when you find something you've admired from afar!

      Delete
  5. NO WAY £3 FOR ALL THOSE TINS!!! *jaw dropping disbelief*
    That is amazing, they woul go for at least £3 per one round these ways...

    I love a good tin
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great auction - there's a bit of everything. A while ago I got 3 beautiful old pine doors for a tenner - just so lucky no one else wanted them!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Fab finds. Love the tins x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many now! But they're always useful...that's what I keep telling myself.. :)

      Delete
  7. Sorry for the late visit!

    Half term shinnanigins and all that.

    LOVE your tins, I have a tin thing too.

    The Christmas one is my favourite too. x

    ReplyDelete