Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Easy, tasty pumpkin soup

At about this time, every year, I'm left with a bucketful of pumpkin and a slight sinking feeling...
Maybe it's just me, but I've never had much success with pumpkin. All the things I've tried - pies, soups, buns, look promising but usually taste bland and disappointing. Such a shame with three eager pumpkin carvers in the house. But my run of uninspiring offerings seems to have screeched to a halt with this FANTASTIC soup. The eldest had three helpings. That's how fantastic it is.

My mum found the recipe in a free local mag - the one that normally kicks around the kitchen for a few days before ending up in the recycling pile. I've fiddled with the recipe, because it appeared to make enough to feed an army, and I didn't have everything on the original list (again..)

600g pumpkin
25g butter
1 onion chopped
150g carrots, peeled and chopped
1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
1 apple peeled and chopped
rind and juice of one orange
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry powder (more/less if you like)
500ml chicken/vegetable stock



Yes. I know. The pumpkin gets a lot of help...

So, in a large saucepan, gently saute the sweet potato, onions, carrots, apples and garlic in the melted butter for 10 minutes.

Add the spices (or leave them out if you prefer), and after a minute, empty in the pumpkin flesh and let it cook, with an occasional stir, for about another 10.

Grate the orange peel and add it along with the juice, plus the stock. Season.

Simmer gently for around 30 minutes.

Add more liquid if you like your soup thin, then blend until it's velvety smooth. Serve with a squirl of cream.

8 comments:

  1. Love the sound of that with the curry powder, it looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is good, so good I'm thinking about getting a few extra, which will be a first! :)

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with helping a pumpkin along in my book. It looks really good. I've got an enormous and strange squahs which we didn't plant but think is a hybrid of a courgette and a butternut from last year which is fairly edible but uninspiring. This is looking like a good candidate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, that sounds interesting - trying to imagine what it looks like? Quite big? Do think this soup would be good for any squash that needs help in the flavour stakes!

      Delete
    2. yes I think so - my fall back is to make squash soup (any squash) with some ginger and chilli (depending on whether kids are likely to eat it) so same principle as the curry powder etc. Yes, they are surprisingly big - I used the smallest, which weighed just over a kilo in chutney along with the green tomatoes, but still have 1.5 of them to go!

      Delete
    3. ..that is a lot of squash! Chutney sounds like a delicious idea. Think as well as spices/ginger and chilli (yum) which definitely help, the orange and apple zing it up a bit!

      Delete
  3. I will definitely give this a go. I never even use the flesh, what a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after the disappointments I've had, there have been times when I've felt like putting it in the compost bin, but this soup is lovely, and will I think become a Halloween tradition here! Really hope you enjoy it.

      Delete