Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Day 339 - A wise idea?


My very lovely, talented sister kindly offered to sell some homemade things for me at a few London craft fairs she was doing in the run up to christmas last year. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to build up a flock of small, knitted birds. They turned out ok, but in my head these tiny birds were going to be simple and quick to make.  They really weren't. They were a bit faffy and took ages. Definitely not a money-spinner.


This time I wanted to try something bigger and less knitty, that wouldn't take so long. Would owls be wise?  Now I know this isn't a novel idea by any stretch - they're everywhere at the moment, but I love that simple retro owl shape, and thought I'd give it a whirl anyway. One of the things that got me thinking along the owl line was this fantastic old flowery sheet I picked up in a charity shop for a few pounds. Must be enough here for a whole colony.


I've made small, medium and large ones and they're all around the kitchen, watching..



They're stuffed with the filling from cushions bought at a car boot, so almost completely created out of recycled bits. And for some owl variety I found these other vintage prints at a fantastic place in Hereford selling secondhand/salvaged material and haberdashery.


The wings on the bigger owls are knitted, and I stuck on bits left over from the good old mouse/mitt cashmere socks for the small ones. A friend suggested these little fellas could be used as pin cushions - maybe this would be fun too?


and there's more owly nonsense.....they are the cashmere socks that keep on giving...



I'm linking up with Lakota's 'Ta-dah!' Tuesday

18 comments:

  1. I love them. They are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are brillant! I'd love to be able to make something like that, well done x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! How about some door stop owls as well, filled with sand? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Would need to look up how to stop sand coming out? Maybe rice or something similar instead? Thanks Emma :)

      Delete
  4. I just find your link at Lakota's Ta-dah and immediately fall in love with your creations!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rice works well in doorstops. Also, have you noticed, the owls fabric is very similar to you blog wallpaper! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..so it does! I do love a bold flower pattern! Thanks for the doorstop tip x

      Delete
  6. They're soo cute! I had to follow the link from Lakota's Ta-dah Tuesday to have a closer look at your owls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're brilliant! Love the design and the simple shape x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Just need to get cracking now x

      Delete
  8. Wow, there's no end to your talents ! they are fantastic.
    You and your sister are obviously both such creative talented ladies.
    Just loved the Owls, I know a shop locally that sells similar, only difference is yours are by far and a way much more superior. Fab :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jo that's very lovely of you! Trying to build up some stock now. I've done two in the yellow material - think it used to be a 70's bedspread! :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them! That material with the bright yellow flowers is very familiar to me, I think we must have had some of that around somewhere when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I felt there was something familiar about it when I bought it. The yellow owls look good I think - hope to put them on here before sending to my sister.

      Delete